What exactly are “perfect legs and glutes?” If you asked a room full of women, you’d get all sorts of different preferences: small legs…thick legs…long legs…round glutes…small butt…and so on. While there may not be a universal definition, there’s really only one way to achieve YOUR perfect legs and glutes: Get to work maximizing your potential!
That’s exactly what our cover model IFBB Bikini Pro Tawna Eubanks has done. Focused on her areas of opportunity and unconcerned about how she measures up to others, her training motivation is simple: “I go to the gym to perfect MY physique.” In doing so, this former Texas pageant queen transformed her lower body from “long and lanky” to strong and shapely.
In the NEW August issue, we feature one of Tawna’s killer workouts to perfect the legs and glutes. (The issue is on newsstands now!) To add to that program, Tawna has shared a few more BONUS exercises especially for YOU—our online reader! Woohoo!
BONUS EXERCISE 2: DUMBBELL SQUAT PULSE
This week, Tawna demonstrates the Dumbbell Squat Pulse. In this exercise, you will limit the range of motion to the bottom half of the squat keeping the glutes under constant tension. This is a great finishing exercise to give your butt a final blast before you call it a day.
How To Do It
1. Position your legs in a wide squat position with your toes pointed out about 45 degrees.
2. Pick up the dumbbell and hold it with both hands. The dumbbell should be positioned between your legs.
3. Keeping your torso upright and your stomach tight, lower down into a deep squat.
4. At the bottom of the squat, engage the glutes and feel your weight in your heels. In a quick and deliberate rhythm, continuously lift and lower your body a few inches (i.e., a pulsing motion). Make sure to keep pressing through your heels.
Perform 4 sets of 20-25 reps.
– Even though the reps are high, don’t be afraid to use heavier weights. Depending on your level, you may choose to use 15lbs – 45lbs+. You want a weight that challenges you without stressing your joints.
– Don’t allow your shoulders to roll forward. It’s easy to allow that to happen while holding a heavy weight in the deep squat position. Keep your torso upright and your weight in your heels.
Check back NEXT WEEK for another BONUS exercise and pick up the August issue of FitnessRx for Women magazine (on sale now) for the complete PERFECT LEGS & GLUTES program.