One of the biggest questions I’ve heard over and over again has been, “How can I get in shape with very little time?” So I decided to give this a lot of thought and ultimately, I came up with a very clear answer.
YES! You can get in shape and stay in shape with very little time. In fact, I think my five tips can actually give you back more time!
Now I’m going to be completely honest with you. There is some work involved, but like anything worthwhile, there usually is. Most of all, you’re going to have to change some habits and that can be hard but totally doable and well worth it. So let’s get started with these tips…
1) Plan your meals out. I like to do this on Sunday night because it means my food for the week will already be planned and I can focus on my busy work schedule. I’ll cook about 10-15 chicken breasts, a Greek salad, a huge Tupperware of quinoa, and a few other things that are ready to eat. Then all I have to do is throw them in some Tupperware and take them with me on the go each day. This actually saves me time because I don’t have to cook much during the week. I also don’t have to go to busy restaurants or spend extra money. I also keep plastic forks and napkins in my car and purse, just in case…
2) Do cardiovascular exercise on an empty stomach. This is a staple among fitness athletes. Waking up just 20 minutes early and doing cardiovascular exercise can have the same effect as doing one hour later in the day. This is because your glycogen stores (what you burn for energy) are lowest first thing in the morning. Thus, your body turns to its fat stores for energy. This is a great way to target fat loss but it’s not without a dose of CAUTION. If you are a diabetic or hypoglycemic, do not attempt this technique. If you feel lighted headed you should STOP immediately. So ditch the one-hour gym session after work and get your 20 minutes in, right when you wake up!
3) Eat more often. Yep, you heard it right. Think of your body as a furnace, if you want to heat up that metabolism you have to constantly feed it. Depriving yourself of food will only slow your metabolism down. The key here is to break up your three meals a day into five or six small meals. Now, you may initially see weight gain with this technique, but trust me after a few weeks your metabolism will catch up and start shedding pounds. So instead of spending an hour for your lunch break, you’ll need less time because you’re eating less of a lunch.
4) Quit the shortcuts. What I mean by shortcuts is taking the elevator, looking for front row parking, etc. I’m often amazed when I see people circling a parking lot for 10 minutes just to get that front spot. I always park in the back of the lot where I know there’s a spot just waiting for me. I burn a few extra calories walking to the store and I’ll often be done shopping by the time that person finds a spot up front… Same idea with taking the stairs over an elevator. If I only have a few floors to go, why wait for an elevator? I can zip up a few flights of stairs much faster than the elevator takes. These little tips save me time and contribute to my good health.
5) Drop your carbohydrates at night. I’m not a big fan of low-carbohydrate diets, but I can appreciate reducing them from the norm. This is especially true at night. Our western diet has made many dinner menus rich in carbohydrates. The only problem with this is that after dinner we are usually pretty sedentary and not able to burn off all of those carbohydrates. I like to ditch the carbs for dinner and try to eat lean meats and veggies only. If for some reason there are carbs present at a dinner, I’ll make sure I eat all the veggies and lean meat first. Hopefully, by the time I finish them I won’t be as hungry for the carbohydrate portion of the meal.
It’s taken me years to learn these tricks and implement them into my life. I now do them without even thinking much about it. I suggest writing them down and trying one at a time. If you miss a day or two, don’t worry— just keep at it. I believe these little tips will end up saving you time, not to mention their contribution to a SMOKING HOT BODY. Most important have fun, keep your sense of humor, and never give up. This is a journey and you are on the right path!!