It’s officially BIKINI SEASON! Are you ready to bare your belly? Whether you’re looking sculpted or just getting started, IFBB Pro Juliana Daniell has some exercises to kick up your training intensity and build beautiful bikini abs!
This week, Juliana demonstrates the SIDE DOUBLE CRUNCH—a simple, but not easy, exercise that works the rectus abdominis one side at a time as well as the obliques and serratus. These two areas represent the “side abs,” which are often neglected since most exercises target the upper or lower portion of the rectus abdominis (i.e., the six pack). For a balanced, injury-free body, it’s important to strengthen all muscles of your core.
How To Do It
1. Lie on your side with your bottom arm extended straight and your palm facing the floor for support. The other hand should be resting behind your head. With your legs together, lift your feet off the ground.
2. Crunch your legs and torso together balancing on your glute.
3. Slowly return to the starting position with your feet elevated. Repeat all reps for one side before moving on to the next.
Perform 4 sets of 10 reps, each side.
– “I like to use one hand as a support while I do this exercise to make sure I’m able to stay balanced on my side and come up as high as I can. This ensures that I get a full range of motion and engage my obliques the entire time.”
– “That said, don’t place a lot of weight on that support hand, because then you are limited the amount of work the core muscles are actually doing.”
– Keep your abs drawn in tight throughout the entire exercise.