Sometimes you just need to fill a delicious void— I mean, health-conscious people need pizza, too! This bad boy is a complete necessity to have up your sleeve to prevent a major food slip-up when trying to stay super focused and on track.
For those of you who have dabbled in the world of gluten-free pizzas and cauliflower pizzas, know that finding a base that stays together is a rare find. Well look no further; this is the answer to all your healthy gluten-free pizza base needs.
This recipe makes two 10-inch pizzas. You can do what I do and call one of these dinner, or have it as an appetizer among friends. You can also go to town on your favorite pizza toppings. I went for a tahini base, grilled chicken, thyme roasted mushrooms and tomato, fresh basil and goat cheese— but you can seriously do anything you like!
GLUTEN-FREE CAULIFLOWER PIZZA BASE
1 cup steamed cauliflower blended/finely puréed
1/2 cup coconut flour
1/2 cup chickpea flour
2 tbs chia seeds
2 tbs flaxseeds
1/2 cup egg whites
2 tbs nutritional yeast
3 tbs fresh thyme
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 punch of salt and pepper
1. Pre-heat your oven at 400 degrees F.
2. Take the blended cauliflower/purée and place in a Muslin cloth (or a thin tea towel) and wring out any fluid. Yes, this is the most annoying step, but removing the fluid will make sure your base turns out nice and crispy!
3. Place the moisture-free purée in a bowl.
4. In a Bullet blender, give the chia and flaxseeds a whiz for 30 seconds. They should be ground nicely. Add them to the puree and stir through.
5. Combine the remaining ingredients in the bowl to make a dough-like mixture.
6. Line a baking tray/cookie sheet with wax paper or aluminum foil and spray lightly with coconut oil.
7. Split the mixture into two balls. And press out into two pizzas about a 1/4 inch thick. Cook the bases in oven for 5-7 minutes until the edges are lightly browned.
8. Take them out of the oven; top with all the delicious things you want on your pizza. I would pick something for a base; I like to mix it up from the traditional tomato and steer towards hummus or tahini to keep it interesting, 2-3 veggies, herbs, cheese of choice and a protein. Return to the oven to cook for another ten minutes.
9. It’s pizza time!
Makes two 10-inch pizzas