During the hot summer months, it’s often more enjoyable to eat food that is light, simple, and doesn’t require hours in the kitchen. Well, I have the perfect dish for you. This Veggie Loaf Cake is a cinch to make. The beauty about this loaf cake is that you can also make it in advance, slice it up, and take it with you on the go, as it is even delicious when eaten cold. The fluffy texture of the eggs, flavored with the natural taste of the veggies and the perfect amount of seasoning, gets a thick and firm texture by the addition of the flours to create a beautiful tasty package. With 125 calories per slice, eat it any time of the day guilt free!
Keeping our bodies in shape is hard work… and yes it absolutely does mean making sacrifices when it comes to the foods that we choose to eat! However, the key is to still enjoy the foods that you love by simply recreating them into a healthy version. That’s what I’m here for! I’ll take the guesswork away from you and bring you new recipes each and every week! It’s all about being creative with good-for-you foods! As my trademark proclaims, I will always do my best to deliver to you: 100% Taste, 0% Guilt! It’s all here for you and ready to go. Each Alli’s Slim Pickins recipe provides detailed ingredients, nutritional information, and step-by-step instructions on how to prepare each mouth-watering meal! Come on, let’s make it happen…
VEGGIE LOAF CAKE
1.5 cups egg whites
1/2 cup low-fat cottage cheese
1/4 cup coconut flour
3/4 cup oat flour
1/2 cup each, chopped: onion, zucchini, red pepper, tomatoes, mushroom
1/2 tsp. each: sea salt and black pepper
1 TB garlic powder
2 TB Italian seasoning
How to Prepare
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. In a small skillet coated with non-stick cooking spray, sauté onion, zucchini, pepper, tomatoes, and mushrooms for approximately 5 minutes— or until veggies are slightly tender.
3. In a large bowl, combine eggs, egg whites, cottage cheese, flours, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and seasoning.
4. Add the veggies once they are done to this mixture and mix to thoroughly combine.
5. Coat a 9×5 loaf pan with cooking spray and pour/spoon the mixture into the pan.
6. Bake for approximately 30 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean and top is golden brown.
7. Remove from oven and let set for 15 minutes before slicing into 6 even pieces. Enjoy!
Per slice (recipe makes 6 slices): 125 calories, 11 grams protein, 14 grams carbohydrates, 3 grams fat
100% TASTE, 0% GUILT
Editor’s Note: If you have any specific requests or would like to share your feedback on the above recipes, please e-mail Allison Frahn at AliFrahn@yahoo.com.