Get a move on, people! Why? Because now you don’t have an excuse to eat bad on the run! I’m providing you with a delicious and unique recipe that you can simply toss in your bag and eat on the go! We are all busy, yes, but that’s no excuse to grab fast food on the run that can simply destroy that amazing physique that you have worked so hard for in the gym! You can still eat healthy, despite your many obligations; all it takes is a little preparation.
Today I’m bringing you an easy, mouth-watering recipe that you won’t soon forget: Upside Down Spinach Cakes! That’s right…a perfect meal/snack in a muffin-like cake! The fluffy egg whites combined with the creamy yogurt and ricotta cheese, and the hearty cream of rice, all seasoned perfectly with a blend of spices and veggies provide a satisfying treat that will turn you upside down! Share with your family and friends…or freeze for leftovers; they are just as amazing once defrosted! What’s even better? They have fewer than 150 calories per cake!
Keeping our bodies in shape is hard work…and yes it absolutely does mean making sacrifices when it comes to the foods that we choose to eat! However, the key is to still enjoy the foods that you love by simply recreating them into a healthy version. That’s what I’m here for! I’ll take the guesswork away from you and bring you new recipes each and every week! It’s all about being creative with good-for-you foods! As my trademark proclaims, I will always do my best to deliver to you: 100% Taste, 0% Guilt! It’s all here for you and ready to go. Each Alli’s Slim Pickins recipe provides detailed ingredients, nutritional information, and step-by-step instructions on how to prepare each mouth-watering meal! Come on, let’s make it happen…
UPSIDE DOWN SPINACH CAKES
2 tsp. olive oil
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 cups chopped frozen spinach, thawed
1 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. each: sea salt and black pepper
2 cups egg whites
1/2 cup non-fat plain Greek yogurt
1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
3/4 cup fat-free ricotta cheese
1/4 cup cream of rice, uncooked
How to Prepare
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Spray a 6-jumbo muffin tin with cooking spray, set aside.
3. In a sauce pan, heat oil over medium heat and add chopped onion, spinach, garlic, salt and pepper. Cook approximately 5 minutes or until onions are lightly browned and tender.
4. While the veggies are cooking put egg whites, yogurt, almond milk, and ricotta cheese into a large mixing bowl. Stir well until ingredients are well blended. Set aside.
5. Once the veggie mixture is browned, add to mixing bowl with the egg white mixture and whisk or stir with spatula until all ingredients are well blended. Then add the cream of rice and whisk again to evenly blend the cream of rice into the mixture.
6. With a large ladle, distribute the spinach cake mixture evenly into the 6 muffin cups.
7. Place in oven and cook for approximately 30 minutes, or until cooked through and lightly browned on top. Let cool for 5-10 minutes. Remove from cups and turn upside down to serve. Enjoy!
Per cake (makes 6): 145 calories, 18 grams protein, 15 grams carbohydrates, 2 grams fat
Editor’s Note: If you have any specific requests or would like to share your feedback on the above recipes, please e-mail Allison Frahn at AliFrahn@yahoo.com.