Grilling is so easy and fun… plus, the cleanup is a cinch! What’s more? It is a super healthy way to prepare your food because you don’t have to cook with oils or a ton of added flavorings, as the grilling alone gives a tremendously fantastic flavor.
Today I’m providing you with Surf n’ Turf kabobs, which will give you a variety of chicken, steak and seafood! The beauty about this recipe is that you can use it as a base for the “how-to” and then can switch it up, using whatever meats or veggies you wish! I have also provided some helpful tips for grilling safely— especially if you’re new to this grilling thing!
TIPS FOR GRILLING SAFELY:
• Propane and charcoal BBQ grills must only be used outdoors.
• Position the grill well away from siding, deck railings and out from under eaves and overhanging branches.
• Place the grill a safe distance from lawn games, play areas and foot traffic.
• Keep children and pets away from the grill area.
• Never leave your grill unattended.
Keeping our bodies in shape is hard work… and, yes, it absolutely does mean making sacrifices when it comes to the foods that we choose to eat! However, the key is to still enjoy the foods that you love by simply recreating them into a healthy version. That’s what I’m here for! I’ll take the guesswork away from you and bring you new recipes each and every week! It’s all about being creative with good-for-you foods! As my trademark proclaims, I will always do my best to deliver to you: 100% Taste, 0% Guilt! It’s all here for you and ready to go. Each Alli’s Slim Pickins recipe provides detailed ingredients, nutritional information, and step-by-step instructions on how to prepare each mouth-watering meal! Come on, let’s make it happen…
“SURF N’ TURF” KABOBS
¼ cup each: Bragg Liquid Aminos, lemon juice, water
1 TB Flax oil
1 TB Dijon mustard
½ cup unsweetened applesauce
1 tsp. each: parsley, garlic powder
4 wooden skewers
½ lb. chicken breast, raw – cut into 2 in. cubes
½ lb. top sirloin, raw – cut into 2 in. cubes
4 large shrimp, raw, peeled
1 each: red, green, yellow pepper
1 small onion
½ cup cherry tomatoes<
How to Prepare
1. Marinade: Blend all ingredients together in food processor or blender for 30 seconds. Set aside.
2. Kabobs: Put cubed chicken into one Ziploc bag and the sirloin in another. Pour half of the marinade into each of the bags. Seal bags and shake to coat chicken/meat thoroughly. Put bags in refrigerator for 4 hours (even better to let sit overnight)!
3. After marinating time has passed, fire up the grill!
4. Cut up vegetables into 1 in. chunks. Clean shrimp and put 2 each onto 2 paper plates. Remove bags from fridge and divide meat and chicken evenly onto the 2 plates. Arrange meat & veggies onto skewers, alternating meat and veggies— each portion should fit onto 2 skewers. Place skewers onto grill for 15 min, or until cooked— turning once.
Tip: Serve Kabobs on top of brown rice or a large garden salad if you’re watching your carbs! Enjoy!!
Per serving (2 skewers): 390 calories, 53 grams protein, 16 grams carbohydrates, 12 grams fat
100% TASTE, 0% GUILT
Editor’s Note: If you have any specific requests or would like to share your feedback on the above recipes, please e-mail Allison Frahn at AliFrahn@yahoo.com.