Hi all! I’m taking you back again to the very basics of Alli’s Slim Pickins; the very premise upon which it was built. I’m taking a favorite food that is typically deemed “not so healthy” and Slim Pickinizing it to make it so! I will provide you a ballpark estimate of the nutritionals of the original version and compare it to my version! I’m going to toss these types of recipes in every couple of weeks and call it: “Slim Pickinized!” Therefore, whenever you see these words before the food, you know what the drill is!
Today, I’m bringing you a scrumptious treat that’s so abundant around the holidays, especially Halloween— the Candy Apple! I’m sure you’re thinking that there is no way this can be made healthy… but oohhh yes, it will be done! It is so easy to transform typically unhealthy meals into mouth-watering, waist-friendly ones. It’s amazing what a few simple tweaks can do! It’s all about creativity, my friends, and I’m excited to provide you with the know-how to do this on your own! Don’t be nervous to re-create some of your favorite recipes once you get the hang of it! You don’t have to suffer in order to eat healthy— it’s all about taste without the guilt. As my trademark proclaims, I will always do my best to deliver to you: 100% Taste, 0% Guilt!
|Fat||43 g||13 g|
|Carbs||90 g||41 g|
|Protein||6 g||25 g|
Slim Pickinized Candy Apple
1 medium apple (variety of your choice)
2 soft caramel squares
1/3 cup unsweetened almond milk
1 scoop chocolate protein powder (a blend works best versus pure whey)
1/4 cup water (if needed)
1 TB chopped peanuts
1 wooden stick
1 piece wax paper
How to Prepare
1. Wash and thoroughly dry apple. Insert wooden stick into the center of the top of the apple, approximately 1-inch deep. Set aside.
2. Heat almond milk and caramel squares in small saucepan. Once caramel is completely melted, remove from heat and let sit for 2 minutes.
3. Add chocolate protein powder and mix until smooth and thick.
4. Note: if coating is watery, let sit for a few more minutes until spreadable. If coating is too thick, add the ¼ cup water 1 TB at a time, until smooth and spreadable. Discard unused water.
5. Hold apple by wooden stick and roll into melted coating while at the same time smoothing over apple with a spatula until mixture is completely used and apple is fully coated.
6. Immediately roll the apple into the chopped nuts while still sticky so the nuts adhere well to the coating
7. Place the apple, top down, onto the wax paper and place in the fridge for approximately one hour to completely set.
8. Remove from the fridge, slice it up and— as always— enjoy! You’ve been Slim Pickinized!! YUM!
100% TASTE, 0% GUILT