This is a froyo (frozen yogurt…let’s get with the times people) that you can feel pretty awesome about eating. It has a smooth creaminess with a zing that will fire up your taste buds. The rich yogurt combines with the tart citrus flavors with just the right amount of sweet and salty to balance it all out. What’s even better is that it has less than 5 grams of fat and a whopping 17 grams of protein per serving.You will surely be making this more than once! Typically when I write my recipes, I will just list a generic whey, casein, or blended protein in the ingredients. However, every once in a while I come across a protein that I just can’t help but mention and Jamie Eason’s signature protein line has led me to do just that! Enjoy!
Keeping our bodies in shape is hard work…and yes it absolutely does mean making sacrifices when it comes to the foods that we choose to eat! However, the key is to still enjoy the foods that you love by simply recreating them into a healthy version. That’s what I’m here for! I’ll take the guesswork away from you and bring you new recipes each and every week! It’s all about being creative with good-for-you foods! As my trademark proclaims, I will always do my best to deliver to you: 100% Taste, 0% Guilt! It’s all here for you and ready to go. Each Alli’s Slim Pickins recipe provides detailed ingredients, nutritional information, and step-by-step instructions on how to prepare each mouth-watering meal! Come on, let’s make it happen…
ORANGE CREAMSICLE FROYO
2 cups plain yogurt (full fat version)
freshly squeezed orange juice from 4-5 large oranges (2 cups)
1 TB freshly grated orange zest from 1 large orange
2 squeezes OPT all-natural Citrus Smoothie (optional)
3/4 tsp. vanilla extract
freshly squeezed lemon juice, to taste*
1 scoop Jaime Eason vanilla Whey Protein Shake (or vanilla whey of choice)
1/3 cup granulated stevia (or your preferred sweetener)
kosher salt, to taste*
How to Prepare (If you have an ice-cream maker)
1. Whisk together yogurt, fresh orange juice, orange zest, OPT flavor, vanilla extract, whey protein, and stevia in a mixing bowl until smooth.
2. *THIS IS CRUCIAL: Add fresh lemon juice and salt in 1/2 tsp. increments, until you find your perfect balance of sweet and tart flavor (note, you can also add more stevia if you wish).
3. Put in the freezer just until the yogurt mixture is nice and cold (not frozen).
4. Prepare in ice cream machine according to manufacturer’s instructions. Depending upon your ice cream machine, you should probably chill in freezer for at least a few hours before serving. Enjoy!!
How to Prepare (If you DO NOT have an ice-cream maker)
1. Complete steps #1 – #3 above.
2. In the meantime, freeze a separate empty, shallow, stainless steel bowl.
3. Place the cold yogurt mixture into the empty frozen bowl and put back in the freezer for approximately 20-25 minutes. Check your yogurt.at this time and you should see the edges start to freeze. As they do, stir the yogurt forcefully with a whisk to break it all up and combine it (this process is what will make your yogurt texture smooth and creamy). Put back in the freezer.
4. Repeat this process until it is firmly frozen (at least 4-5 times….the more the better!) Enjoy!
100% TASTE, 0% GUILT