If you haven’t already checked out my first kale chips recipe, check it out now! As I mentioned in that article, there are endless ways to season and prepare kale chips. I’m going to start by giving you the basic recipe along with some tips to cook the best kale chips and then I’m going to give you three more of my favorite varieties. PLEASE be creative and use your favorite seasonings to come up with your very own varieties. This is where the fun begins!
Keeping our bodies in shape is hard work… and, yes, it absolutely does mean making sacrifices when it comes to the foods that we choose to eat! However, the key is to still enjoy the foods that you love by simply recreating them into a healthy version. That’s what I’m here for! I’ll take the guesswork away from you and bring you new recipes each and every week! It’s all about being creative with good-for-you foods! As my trademark proclaims, I will always do my best to deliver to you: 100% Taste, 0% Guilt! It’s all here for you and ready to go. Each Alli’s Slim Pickins recipe provides detailed ingredients, nutritional information, and step-by-step instructions on how to prepare each mouth-watering meal! Come on, let’s make it happen…
TIPS FOR BAKING THE BEST OVEN KALE CHIPS:
• Use the lowest temperature your oven will allow (some ovens have a “dehydrate” function that bakes at 130 F). A lower oven temperature will dry out the kale without risk of browning the leaves.
• Bake your kale on a cooling rack or similar tray so any moisture evaporates instead of “steaming” the leaves. If you don’t have a rack you need to be extra sure the leaves are completely dry before placing it on a parchment paper-lined pan.
• If you have finally caved to the kale chip obsession, consider getting a food dehydrator for perfect chips every time.
ALLI’S BASIC KALE CHIPS
1 lb. bunch kale
1 TB olive oil
1 tsp. sea salt
How to Prepare
1. Preheat oven to 250 F (or lower)
2. Remove kale leaves from the stem and rinse in water.
3. Dry the leaves as best you can (use a salad spinner, or do it ahead of time and let air dry on clean kitchen towels). Make sure the kale leaves are very dry after washing. Any moisture left on the leaves will create soggy leaves.
4. Toss kale with oil and salt in a large bowl.
5. Place leaves in a single layer on a wire rack over a sheet pan or a parchment-lined pan and bake until crispy, about 30-45 minutes for 250 F in the oven, or a few hours if your oven has a “dehydrate” function.
3 MORE FAVORITE VARIATIONS TO MY BASIC KALE CHIPS
#1 SALT N’ VINEGAR
• Prepare as directed above, except add the following ingredients to the bowl in step #4: ¼ cup white wine vinegar, ¼ tsp. sea salt. (ADDS approx. 0 calories per serving).
#2 ZESTY RANCH
• Prepare as directed above, except add the following ingredients to the bowl in step #4: 4TB milk powder, 1 tsp. ea: parsley, dill, garlic, onion, chives. (ADDS approx 5 calories per serving).
#3 SWEET COCOA
• Prepare as directed above, except add the following ingredients to the bowl in step #4: 4 TB unsweetened cocoa powder, ½ tsp cinnamon, 2 tsp vanilla, 3 packets stevia. (ADDS approx. 15 calories per serving).
100% TASTE, 0% GUILT