Pumpkin is not only delicious— it is also a very versatile vegetable that it is often used in sweets such as cookies and cakes, as well as savory dishes such as ravioli and soups. So I decided to create the best of both worlds by combining the sweet pumpkin spice cupcake with a savory cream cheese frosting. My Cream Cheese Frosted Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes are so delicious and so satisfying with 15 grams of protein, 5 grams of fiber, and only 2.5 grams of fat. Enjoy this seasonal treat!!
Keeping our bodies in shape is hard work… and, yes, it absolutely does mean making sacrifices when it comes to the foods that we choose to eat! However, the key is to still enjoy the foods that you love by simply recreating them into a healthy version. That’s what I’m here for! I’ll take the guesswork away from you and bring you new recipes each and every week! It’s all about being creative with good-for-you foods! As my trademark proclaims, I will always do my best to deliver to you: 100% Taste, 0% Guilt! It’s all here for you and ready to go. Each Alli’s Slim Pickins recipe provides detailed ingredients, nutritional information, and step-by-step instructions on how to prepare each mouth-watering meal! Come on, let’s make it happen…
CREAM CHEESE FROSTED PUMPKIN SPICE CUPCAKES
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup oat flour (or you can use regular oats and grind them into flour)
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 cup granulated stevia (or your preferred sweetener)
1/2 cup canned pure pumpkin
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
2 TB plain nonfat Greek yogurt
1 TB coconut oil (softened)
1 whole egg
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
How to Prepare
1. Prepare the cream cheese frosting: In a small mixing bowl, stir together the cream cheese, whey protein, coconut oil, and stevia until smooth. Put in the fridge.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 6-cup jumbo muffin tin with paper liners (or just spray with non-stick cooking spray) and set aside.
3. In a large bowl, combine the flours, spice, baking powder, baking soda, salt and stevia. Mix together.
4. Add the pumpkin, applesauce, yogurt, coconut oil, egg, and vanilla extract to the bowl and combine just until the ingredients are well mixed and a batter is formed (don’t over mix).
5. Bake approximately 25 minutes or until the tops are golden brown and a knife inserted in the center of the cupcakes comes out clean. Remove from oven and let sit for a few minutes before removing the cupcakes from the tin and placing on a cooling on a rack to fully cool.
6. Once the cupcakes are cooled, remove the frosting from the fridge and evenly pipe the frosting amongst each of the 6 cupcakes (if you do not have a piping bag, just use a knife to spread the frosting).
100% TASTE, 0% GUILT