Christmas morning can be hectic enough as it is, let alone having to prepare a breakfast for family and/or guests! Don’t stress (as the important thing is spending time with loved ones) because I’m bringing you a recipe that is so simple to make! Plus, you can prepare it in advance and refrigerate overnight so that all that you have to do is pop it in the oven in the morning. What’s even better is that you can share this nutritious meal with loved ones guilt free! What better way to start off this special holiday with a light meal that won’t slow you down? Plus, you will have more room for your holiday feast. Merry Christmas!
Keeping our bodies in shape is hard work… and, yes, it absolutely does mean making sacrifices when it comes to the foods that we choose to eat! However, the key is to still enjoy the foods that you love by simply recreating them into a healthy version. That’s what I’m here for! I’ll take the guesswork away from you and bring you new recipes each and every week! It’s all about being creative with good-for-you foods! As my trademark proclaims, I will always do my best to deliver to you: 100% Taste, 0% Guilt! It’s all here for you and ready to go. Each Alli’s Slim Pickins recipe provides detailed ingredients, nutritional information, and step-by-step instructions on how to prepare each mouth-watering meal! Come on, let’s make it happen…
CHRISTMAS MORNING EGG CASSEROLE
3 cups unsweetened almond milk
3/4 cup quick-cooking grits
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 cup egg whites
2 large eggs
2 TB coconut oil
1 1/2 cups low fat cottage cheese
3 slices low sodium turkey bacon, chopped
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped broccoli
1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
1 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 cup low-sodium pure tomato sauce
2 TB Italian Seasoning
1 cup low fat unsweetened Greek yogurt
How to Prepare
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Coat a 12-inch round (or 9×13) baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
3. Heat almond milk and salt in a pot over medium-high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low-medium and stir in the grits, consistently stirring until the grits thicken (about 2 minutes).
4. Remove from the heat and stir in coconut oil until melted.
5. Add cottage cheese, turkey bacon, onion, broccoli, black pepper, and garlic powder and mix until thoroughly combined.
6. In a separate bowl scramble the eggs and egg whites and then pour into the bowl with the grits mixture. Again, stir until all ingredients are well mixed.
7. Pour into the baking dish.
8. Drizzle the tomato sauce over the top of the casserole and spread with the back of a spoon or spatula until a very thin layer is formed. Sprinkle the Italian seasoning on top.
9. Bake in the oven for approximately 45 minutes or until the middle of the casserole is firm and set.
10. Remove from oven and let cool for at least 10 minutes before slicing to serve.
11. Top each portion with a dollop of Greek yogurt (approximately 2 TB). Enjoy!
100% TASTE, 0% GUILT