“Are you ready for some football?” If you’re a big football fan, or have a significant other, brother or son who is, I’m sure this infamous jingle is running through your head. Football season is upon us, people! If you’re not excited, you can guarantee that about 90 percent of America is! With that, it’s time to stop excluding yourself from the big old Sunday pigskin gatherings, be it to avoid the usually unhealthy offerings or because it’s just plain old boring to you. It’s time to join in the festivities! Why? Because you get to spend some quality time with some great people! OK, want the real reason, the obviously more important reason? Because I’m going to provide you with an absolutely delicious and perfect recipe for game day that will just send balls in a perfect spiral!! That’s right, we’re making skins for skins! Eh hem, potato skins for pigskins, that is!
These potato skins are the perfect addition to game day with the boys… and girls! They are super easy to eat and the best part is your guests won’t even know that they are healthy! Yes, even you can eat them guilt-free! Watch their faces as you sink your teeth into these treats that only appear unhealthy. These snacks have gotten a bad rap because they are typically loaded with gobs of cheese, bacon, sour cream, etc. Well, not on my stopwatch! It’s time to recreate these bad boys into nutritious ones… just leave it up to me!
Keeping our bodies in shape is hard work… and, yes, it absolutely does mean making sacrifices when it comes to the foods that we choose to eat! However, the key is to still enjoy the foods that you love by simply recreating them into a healthy version. That’s what I’m here for! I’ll take the guesswork away from you and bring you new recipes each and every week! It’s all about being creative with good-for-you foods! As my trademark proclaims, I will always do my best to deliver to you: 100% Taste, 0% Guilt!
It’s all here for you and ready to go. Each Alli’s Slim Pickins recipe provides detailed ingredients, nutritional information, and step-by-step instructions on how to prepare each mouth-watering meal! Come on, let’s make it happen…
LOADED POTATO SKINS
4 medium white potatoes, baked
1/2 c low-sodium salsa (hot or mild)
1 c chopped tomato
1/2 c chopped green bell pepper
1/4 c each: chopped red onion, chopped chives
1/3 c sliced black olives
1 TB chopped cilantro
1 tsp. each: black pepper, garlic powder, cumin
sea salt, to taste (optional)
1/2 c low-fat cheddar shreds
8 oz. grilled chicken, finely diced
How to Prepare
1. Slice baked potatoes, lengthwise and scoop out the inside— leaving approximately ¼ inch potato around the skin. (Be creative and find a good use for this potato in another one of your meals!)
2. Place a piece of tin foil on a cookie sheet and arrange skins on top. Put back in the oven and bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.
3. In the meantime add tomato, green bell pepper, red onion, chives, black olives, cilantro, black pepper, garlic, cumin and sea salt to a mixing bowl. Mix all ingredients until thoroughly blended. Set aside.
4. Once potatoes have been in the oven for 10 minutes (to slightly harden/dry out before adding the wet ingredients), remove and evenly spoon in the salsa amongst each half. Then, divide the chicken evenly on top of the salsa.
5. Next, evenly spoon in the tomato, veggie, and herb mixture from the mixing bowl, ensuring that each half gets the same amount.
6. Finally, evenly sprinkle on the low-fat cheddar shreds amongst each half.
7. Put back in the oven for approximately 20 minutes until cheese is fully melted and skins are golden brown. It’s game time!
Per skin (recipe makes 8): 140 calories, 12 grams protein, 18 grams carbohydrates, 2 grams fat
Editor’s Note: If you have any specific requests or would like to share your feedback on the above recipes, please e-mail Allison Frahn at AliFrahn@yahoo.com.