When hunger strikes, it’s time to get a snack! Snacks are small portions of food eaten between meals to keep your energy levels up and keep your stomach from growling. It is also a convenient way to have much needed nutrients in a hurry.
Being vegan doesn’t mean you have to eat green plants at every meal. There are so many yummy tasting, nutritious snacks that vegans can enjoy. Here are my top 10 picks.
1. Fresh fruit paired with nuts. This is always an easy, go-to snack. Ladies, you can throw an apple and a little baggie of almonds in your purse.
2. Fresh veggies paired with a dip. Fresh veggies taste great with a fun, healthy dip. My top two favorite dips are white bean and hummus.
3. Whole grain crackers with a dip. If fresh veggies aren’t giving you the crunch you need, these whole grain crackers are sure to hit the spot without the guilt. These are also great paired with hummus or a bean dip. www.marysgonecrackers.com
4. Parfait. Fruit and yogurt parfaits are a sweet, healthy treat. My favorite parfait products are SO dairy-free yogurt, ½ cup of Hail Merry’s Grawnola, 1 scoop of Sun Warrior protein powder (for extra protein), and ½ cup fresh berries. Take ingredients, layer it and enjoy!
5. Vegan bars. I am not a big bar person but I do love these Kind Bars. They are nut based. You can pair up one of these delicious bars with a piece of fruit. Also a great snack to have in your purse. www.kindsnacks.com
6. Fruit and veggie roll ups with dip. This is not your regular fruit roll up, this is a fresh fruit and veggie roll up. Take your favorite fruit and veggies rolled up sushi style and dip them into your favorite dips. If you want a sweet dip, use SO dairy-free yogurt; if you want a veggie dip, hummus or a bean dip will do.
7. Vegan protein pops. Summer time is here and everyone loves a little frozen treat. My favorite frozen protein pops are made with SO dairy-free yogurt. Add fresh fruit chopped up in the container the yogurt comes in, add 2 tablespoons of your favorite protein powder, mix well. Then put tin foil to cover the top of the container. Stick a wooden Popsicle stick in the center of the tin foil top, covering the yogurt container, and freeze. These are great for kids, too.
8. Smoothies. The possibilities are endless with this great snack. You can put your favorite fruit, healthy snack, protein powder, and blend away to get a fast, nutritious snack. My favorite berry smoothie is: 1 cup fresh berries, ½ cup frozen raspberries, 1 scoop Sun Warrior protein powder, 1 tablespoon flax oil, ½ cup of water, and blend! Tastes like a berry ice cream.
9. Juicing. Juice your veggies! You can throw a mix of your favorite veggies in the juicer and down it. It has all the fiber, vitamins, minerals and nutrients your body needs to get you to your next meal. My favorite green juice is: 1 stalk of romaine lettuce, 3 asparagus spears, 1 leaf of kale, ½ cucumber, 1 pea, and 1-inch root of ginger. Very easy to do. Wash and juice all veggies in your juicer. You can add an extra pear for more sweetness.
10. Healthy Vegan Packaged Snacks. Most packaged foods are made of chemicals and have been processed to death. If you need a healthy snack on the go, the product line from Go Raw has great crackers, cookies and bars. They are made with certified organic raw ingredients. www.goraw.com