There’s nothing better than enjoying a summer night outdoors and cooking on the grill. There are so many things that can be grilled, other you’re your typical fish, chicken, and red meats. Practically anything can be placed on the grill for that added delicious smoky flavor. Consider some of my favorite summer grill ideas to add some creativity to any summer dish.
1. Pizza. We all love pizza! Why not pre-make your pizza and throw it on the grill. Simply brush olive oil on flattened dough (pre-made or homemade) and place it on the grill. Once grill marks appear, take it off the heat and add your desired healthy toppings. Place your pizza back on the barbeque, until the cheese has melted!
2. Clams. These are an all time favorite! Clean and dry the shells well, brush with olive oil and place on a high heat grill for about 2-3 minutes until the shells pop open. Add a few drops of hot sauce and enjoy!
3. Fruit Kebabs. Take a twist on normal kebabs by adding various tropical fruits to the skewer. From all fruit Kebabs, a mixture of vegetable and fruit, or veggie, fruit and lean protein kebabs, they all make great grilling options.
4. Avocado. Grilled avocados are delicious and perfect for the summer! Just cut the fruit in half (the skin stays on), take out the seed, and coat with olive oil. Place the cut side down on the grill and grill for 5-7 minutes. Top with salsa and or Greek yogurt and enjoy!
5. Romaine. Simply add Lettuce to the grill, drizzle Olive Oil and a touch of Parmesan cheese over top and grill until grill marks appear and cheese has melted. These make great appetizers or leaves for a Caesar salad!
6. Whole Peppers. You buy roasted pepper at the store, why not make your own!? Slice peppers in half and clean out the centers. Brush them with olive oil and place them on the grill, skin side down. After about 20 minutes, the skin should be charred. Place them in a closed paper bag or sealed bowl for about 15 minutes to allow them to steam. Remove the skin and enjoy.
7. Fries. For a healthier version of French fries, try roasting yam or sweet potato fries on the grill. Cut the yam or sweet potatoes into wedges, toss them with olive or coconut oil and add your desired seasonings. Grill them for about 10 minutes on each side until they are soft and slightly charred.
8. Zucchini. Simply slice a zucchini into rounds or long ways and season them with olive oil and desired spices, like basil or garlic. Cook for about five or six minutes on each side, and enjoy!
9. Artichokes. For an added smoky flavor, add them to the grill. Start by boiling the artichokes until they are soft and fully cooked. Slice them in half and scoop out the few first layers. Brush both sides with olive oil, and sprinkle with a touch of sea salt. Place on the grill, turning occasionally for about four to five minutes on each side. Remove from the heat, squeeze lemon over top and enjoy!
10. Grilled Fruit. If using larger fruit such as pineapple, peaches, bananas, papaya, watermelon, etc. cut into rounds and coat with coconut oil. Place on the grill until golden brown. For smaller fruits, such as berries or grapes, place in aluminum foil, coat with coconut oil, seal up the sides and grill for about 10 minutes. For added sweetness, just before removing from the grill, add a touch of stevia over top. Goes great served along side lean protein or over top Greek Yogurt, for a healthy treat!