You’ve heard of macros— carbs, proteins and fats— but micros?? What’s a micro, and why are they essential?
Micronutrients are minerals such as fluoride, selenium, sodium, iodine, copper and zinc. They also include vitamins such as B-complex vitamins, and vitamins C, A, D, E and K. If you’re one of those people who hates eating vegetables, fruits, whole grains or even protein, it’s likely you could be micronutrient deficient! The most common deficiencies are in iodine (linked to leading to brain damage and retardation), vitamin A (linked to blindness in children) and iron (linked to anemia). Including more micronutrients in your diet will not only prevent heart disease and a deficiency, but will also increase your physical performance, mental focus and your body’s overall appearance! Below I’ve listed my top tips to fit in your micros!
1. Drink one to two scoops Green Juice Superfood Powder (this tastes amazing with stevia, and has SO many fruits and veggies in it!).
2. If you’re a hands-on person, buy a juicer and try a few different recipes! (Be wary of the calories, though— it’s very easy to go overboard!)
3. Add one to two salads in your daily regimen (this will also help with digestion!)
4. Start adding a few red berries to your oatmeal, smoothies or salads that contain vitamin B, potassium and folate.
5. Include one to two meals a day with WHOLE grains like oatmeal, brown rice or sugar-free granola to get in your B vitamins, iron, magnesium and selenium (anything white like white rice will digest faster, but won’t have the micros).
6. Add a variety of colorful vegetables to your food like corn, peas and potatoes.
7. Include eggs, meat and poultry in your diet for B vitamins, E, iron, zinc and magnesium (if you hate eggs or meat, try flavored egg whites like MuscleEgg!).
8. Include at least one meal a day with low-fat, 0 percent sugar organic cottage cheese or Greek yogurt for calcium, potassium and vitamin D.
You can also visit my website www.ashleykfit.com for more exercise and nutrition tips! Enjoy the rest of your week!