Are you doing everything possible to lose weight? Getting a little frustrated cause the scale isn’t going down? Try getting some sleep! Researchers have found that people who get six to eight hours of uninterrupted sleep tend to weigh less! Wow, who knew it would be something so simple? ;) Sleep supports weight loss, and there are two hormones that affect our appetite when the human body doesn’t get enough sleep. These two hormones play an important role in the human body by influencing appetite:
1. Ghrelin— a hormone in the body that not only stimulates the brain, but also increases appetite.
2. Leptin— represses the appetite and can support weight loss.
If your main goal is to be healthy, or lose weight, sleep is for you! So how do we go about making this happen?
• Plan your BEDTIME. Get into a ROUTINE… make it a point, and “plan” on going to bed a half hour earlier than usual. This way if it’s a half hour later, we are still getting a sufficient amount of ZZZs. Start slow and ease into a better sleep pattern!
• MAKE it COUNT. Restless sleep doesn’t count— you need to reach that REM cycle and let your body repair itself. Try using an over-the-counter aid, something such as: melatonin, Sleep Aid pills (Champion Nutrition), BeautyBurn PM, etc.
• DISENGAGE. These days, it’s so easy to get caught up watching your favorite TV show or sitting up on Facebook! Turn OFF the TV and the computer, or set a time frame! Try picking up a book and reading, or writing in a journal… this may help relax your mind a little better before bedtime.
• CUT down on CAFFEINE/SUGAR. Caffeine, especially taken close to bedtime, can keep you up ALL night. Make sure you take your last dosage six hours BEFORE your PLANNED bedtime! Also make it a HABIT to eliminate sugars close to bedtime. These two substances can be detrimental to our sleep patterns.
• AVOID late-night GYM trips. Getting the heart rate up and “at it” close to bedtime can also hurt our sleep! Try getting that PUMP in right after work, or even BETTER— in the AM!
• Get UP early. If you go to bed at a decent time, set yourself up for success and wake up early! Get your body on a regular, day-to-day pattern and your body will thank YOU ;) Not only will you drop weight, you will feel more ACCOMPLISHED and get more done!
Sleep supports weight loss! Now we know the “tricks of the trade” when it comes to sleeping! If your main goal is to drop weight, and live a healthier lifestyle…. BE SURE to give your body a REST and get those ZZZs! Let’s all shoot for six to eight hours this whole week, begin a new journey and MAKE it happen. You are in charge of your DESTINY, your life, and YOUR body!
Till next time, stay DEDICATED and DETERMINED! “The SKYE’s the limit”!!!