If you’re like me, you have a million dresses and skirts in your closet. Short, long, short in the front and long in the back, knee length…did I mention short? Since that’s the most popular length in MY closet, it’s worth mentioning a few times!
And, what pairs perfectly with these short skirts and dresses? Other than cute accessories and fabulous heels, we want great legs, don’t we? I know I do! Having great legs doesn’t only mean just having amazing quads and calves—we absolutely can’t forget about the hammies!
I absolutely love training this body part. Below is one of my favorite hamstring workouts that will definitely have your hammies feeling the love.
Okay…it’s time to HAM IT UP!
– Depending on your level of fitness, perform 3-5 sets of 15-25 reps.
– If you want a more intense workout, do 5 sets and more reps and/or heavier weight.
– Make sure to warm up and stretch a bit before starting.
Straight Leg Hamstring Cable Kickbacks
Two Step Prone Leg Curls
Stiff Leg Deadlifts (also called Romanian Deadlifts)
Bosu Medicine Ball Single Leg Deadlift
1) Straight Leg Hamstring Cable Kickbacks. Use the ankle strap attachment on the cable machine. Kick your leg back and up, but stop where you feel the tension in your hamstrings. Focus on your hamstrings—if you lift your leg too high, it becomes an exercise for the glutes.
2) Two Step Prone Leg Curls. At the prone leg curl machine, do 15-20 leg curls only going half way up. As soon as you complete the reps, perform 15-20 full range leg curls. That completes 1 set.
3) Stiff Leg Deadlifts. Grasp bar with hands wider than shoulder-width. Stand with feet about 6 inches wide. Keep your back straight, chest out and shoulders back throughout the entire movement. With knees slightly bent, slowly lower weight toward floor, only bending at the hips. Push your rear end backward as though you’re sticking your butt out. You’ll feel a stretch in your hamstrings. Return to starting position and repeat.
4) Bosu Medicine Ball Single Leg Deadlift. Stand on Bosu ball and hold a medicine ball over your head. With arms straight and torso straight, slowly bend forward and lift one leg up.
5) Kettlebell Swings. Begin with legs about shoulder-width, grasping a kettlebell with both hands. Push glutes back, bend forward at the hips and let your arms swing backward through legs. Then drive hips forward to swing kettlebell to shoulder height. Your body should be in a straight line at the top of the swing.