Lately, I have been getting a lot of questions and e-mails about how I stay motivated after a show. As you all know, following a strict diet or workout plan can be challenging. But it doesn’t have to be! After a show or perhaps after reaching a goal, (running a 5K, losing weight for a wedding, etc.), it can be a bit of a challenge to jump right back ON the bandwagon of “clean” eating and thinking! I have been there many of times and STILL struggle sometimes! We are all human, right?! It is how YOU can overcome this thinking and bounce BACK!
How can we jump back on TRACK?
• ESTABLISH a NEW goal: After you achieve your first goal (like a show, for me)… set up ANOTHER one! For example, if you ran your first 5K, you feel amazing… now, either sign up for another one to beat your last time or sign up for a half marathon for the next time! Always push yourself! If you aren’t working towards something, the motivation WILL NOT be there!
• SURROUND yourself with POSITIVE influences: Being fit and healthy isn’t necessarily the norm these days. People who are failing at being healthy don’t want to see you or others happy and healthy. It is sad, but true! If you have to, find a few new friends that share the same or a similar common goal, friends who can push you to be a better YOU! Avoid the negativity as much as possible! If you can’t avoid it, EXPLAIN to your friends and family how important it is for their support. If they love you, they WILL understand!
• SOCIAL MEDIA: Stay up to date on social media! This is something that REALLY helps me when I am down! When I stay involved in who is competing where on Facebook, follow my fellow gym rats on Twitter, or go to competitions to support fellow competitors, it reminds me of what I truly want… to look and feel amazing!
• BELIEVE in YOURSELF: If you don’t believe in yourself, who will? It may seem impossible, but NOTHING is impossible for those who believe! It may take work, and it may take TIME… but you WILL get there if you NEVER give UP!!! :)
• Stay POSITIVE and OPTIMISTIC: Those little doubts ALWAYS seem to creep up on us! I can’t tell you how many times I have felt like giving up before a show, then I hear… “Just keep going.” Looking back, I NEVER regret NOT giving up… and I KNOW we all regret when we DO! So, with that being said… find positive quotes, books or even blogs online when you are feeling down. But when you do OVERCOME it, you will GROW STRONGER!!!
Being motivated doesn’t come easy! FIND what MOTIVATES YOU! It can be ANYTHING: taking a few dance classes, competing, triathlons, etc! Whatever it may be, always remember to set a goal… Then RESET another! If you stop creating goals, you will get NOWHERE! You can do it! Start now! Determine what you want… and as my coach Shannon Dey says, “GET OVER IT AND GO!”
Till next time, stay DEDICATED and DETERMINED and remember… The “Skye’s the LIMIT”!