As one of the industry’s most sought-after personal trainers, nutrition and competition prep coaches and fitness models, IFBB Bikini pro Justine Munro knows exactly what it takes to get flat, ripped, sexy abs. Give this program a try and incorporate a healthy nutritional plan in your fitness regimen for a tight, toned midsection with strong and sculpted abs.
JUSTINE’S FLAT AB CIRCUIT
• Do 5 sets of 10-20 reps.
• Perform this circuit style— do one set of 10 to 20 reps for an exercise, and then move on to the next one with no rest between exercises. Once you’ve done a set of all the exercises, rest one minute and then start back at the beginning.
• Do this workout one to three days a week.
Russian Twists (both sides equals one rep)
In a sit-up position with your knees bent and heels on the floor, lean back as far as you can until you feel your abs tighten. Holding a weighted ball in front of you, twist your torso to the left and tap the ball on the floor to the left of your hips, and then do the same on the right. Keep rotating.
Flutter Kicks (10 high, 10 middle, 10 low)
Lie flat on your back with your arms resting by your sides, palms facing down. Lift your heels about six inches off the floor. Keep your legs fully extended, with a slight bend in your knees. Lift one leg higher than the other, and continue alternating as if you were kicking underwater.
Hip Drops (both sides equals one rep)
In a plank position, slowly drop one hip to the ground and back up again, and repeat on the other side.
PNF Diagonal Ball Raises (10 each side)
Hold a medicine ball with your legs wide part. Bring the ball to one foot, bending your knee, then up to the opposite shoulder, extending the ball in the air. Repeat by bringing the ball back down. Finish on one side before going to the other.
JUSTINE’S TIPS FOR FLAT ABS
• Drink more water. “Staying hydrated not only helps with your alertness, controlling appetite, and improving activity and sport performance, but it also helps everyday symptoms like fatigue, headaches, and dry skin.”
• Add more fibrous and bright-colorful foods to your diet. Think fruits and veggies.
• Eat five to six small meals throughout the day. “This can help stabilize blood glucose levels. Small meals contain less glucose than larger meals and cause blood sugar to increase at a much slower rate.”
• Eat every two to three hours, and have a balanced meal with the proper amount of carbohydrate, protein and fat. “Your body needs certain nutrients to sustain everyday biological processes. Carbohydrate, protein and fat are macronutrients that provide calories, but they also have many other functions. Make sure to keep a well-rounded diet.”
• Stay active. “Cardio and weight training is key.”
• Reduce stress in your life. “Stressing and anxiety can cause the overproduction of the hormone cortisol, which encourages weight gain about the belly area.”
HIIT ‘BELLY BURN’ CARDIO
Cardio is an essential to burning fat and achieving a toned and tight midsection. Justine performs high-intensity interval training (HIIT) three to four times a week, either fasted in the morning or after weight training. Give Justine’s HIIT training a try.
Treadmill or StairMaster Circuit Sprints
Repeat eight to 10 times:
• 40-second sprint
• Two minutes rest
To increase the difficulty:
• Treadmill: For three to four sets, increase the incline to add more of a hill resistance.
• StairMaster: Instead of intervals, complete 10 sets of 40 sets of the following, rest two minutes and repeat:
One set = 10 double steps, 10 wide double sets, 10 diagonal double steps and 10 shoulder-width double steps. Don’t perform at a sprinting rate— find a pace that’s comfortable for you.