How many women do you know that are terrified to pick up weights in fear of looking like a man? We all have been there, but knowledge is POWER! Women do not produce enough testosterone naturally to become extremely muscular like a man. Women who want to gain lean muscle mass or shed fat should definitely consider picking up those dumbbells!
A lot of women are terrified of weights so they go to the gym and only do cardio! Cardio is great for the body, but cardio AND weights are a packaged deal in losing weight! Truth be told, weight training is actually a KEY ingredient for fat loss! It is difficult to lose only fat and preserve lean muscle mass when you aren’t weight training. If you want to focus more on your overall health, here are TEN good reasons hitting the weights is good for women:
1. Increases metabolism. Muscle is an active tissue; the more muscle you have the more calories you burn.
2. Burns more calories. Your body will be burning calories for up to 24 hours post-workout.
3. Women will not get big and bulky from lifting weights, but instead lose fat and gain lean muscle mass.
4. Increases athletic performance. You can run faster and jump higher with increased strength.
5. As we age, muscle deteriorates.
6. Muscle requires more calories, so you can get away with eating more (clean) calories.
7. Decreases stress.
8. Prevents and FIGHTS Osteoporosis.
9. Cardio alone without weights will SLOW your metabolism down.
10. MUSCLE burns FAT!
Let’s face it, women do not produce enough testosterone to bulk up like a man! Weight training will only benefit you and your overall health. A combination of strength training, cardio and a proper diet will have you on your way to a tighter and toned physique. Be sure to include enough protein in your diet to maintain muscle; women generally have a harder time with this and it is essential for maintenance and growth. Get some courage, pick up those weights next time you are in the gym, and you will be amazed with the results! Stay dedicated and determined and always remember… “The Skye’s the LIMIT!”