Say it’s almost the weekend… you’re afraid to get on the scale, you’re tired, you’re supposed to meet your friends for happy hour after work, you’re craving ice cream and greasy food again—and quite honestly, you’re really not in the mood to go to the gym today. We’ve all experienced being UNMOTIVATED— including me! So I’ve written a little cheat sheet for when you’re feeling dumpy, behind on your goals and unmotivated:
1) Go for a brisk walk outside — nothing gets your endorphins going like a quick little stroll in the fresh air. Once your blood starts pumping, your body will release dopamine and serotonin—chemicals in your brain that improve mood and decrease depression!
2) Schedule training times with an exercise buddy or a reputable trainer! Sometimes you just need someone to hold you accountable so you don’t miss that cardio session, yoga class or lifting session! Having a buddy or good trainer might push you to work harder than if you were to work out alone. Not to mention, what better excuse not to go to happy hour? You have an appointment at the gym!
3) Write down your goals. I know it sounds cliché, but it really works! Sit down with a pen and paper and ask yourself, “Why do I want to get in shape? What’s motivating me? Is there someone I want to impress? Do I want to improve my numbers at the doctor’s office? What do I want to look like?” Visualize it as specifically as possible, then ask, “What will it take to get me there?”
4) Find a role model or “fitspo” in a magazine or on social media who you admire. Social media can be very motivating, but also very discouraging depending on who you follow. Find someone you relate to, and feel that you can achieve her level of fitness or body composition. However, keep in mind that YOUR body is unique and will look slightly different at your best because of both your body structure and genetics. Be proud of what you have and push yourself!
5) Throw out any junk food in the house, and go on a grocery run to pick up all healthy foods. Having cabinets and a fridge full of clean, healthy food will make you feel both empowered and motivated to stay on track the whole week!
If you have any other suggestions to add to my motivational cheat sheet, feel free to drop me a comment on Facebook or Instagram, and let me know what you think! My new training programs are also now available at Ashleykfit.com, so head over and check them out!
Have a great week, and stay motivated!