Real talk here… whether you’re a fitness model, stay at home mom or businessperson, “dieting” isn’t easy for ANYONE! Especially in America, we are bombarded by billboards, TV ads and flashing lights on the street— how can we stay on a diet with so many options of delicious food?
Well, I’m here to tell you that if you keep enough variety of flavors in your house, you’ll be much less likely to eat out! Diet food shouldn’t have to taste bland or boring. Over the years, I’ve learned a few tricks of the trade to help satisfy my cravings at home and keep me from eating out. Below, I’ve listed some of my favorite low-calorie, staple seasonings and condiments to keep in your cabinets at all times!
• Sriracha sauce (5 calories per teaspoon)
• Salsa (5 calories per tablespoon)
• Hot wing sauce (0 calories per teaspoon: select brands)
• Balsamic vinegar (10 calories per tablespoon— look for a low-sugar option)
• Red wine vinegar (0 calories per tablespoon)
• Organic low-sugar ketchup (15 calories per tablespoon)
• Spices such as rosemary, cinnamon, cayenne pepper, oregano, curry, pink Himalayan sea salt, spice blends
• Mustard (zero calories)
• Light soy sauce (5 calories per teaspoon)
The key is to use a very SMALL amount for flavor without adding an excess amount of calories. What I like to do is take my fork, dip it in sauce, then take my bite with that small amount. Believe it or not, it’s the perfect amount of flavor. I recommend using the savory sauces and balsamic on your chicken, turkey, eggs, steak and veggies as well. For oatmeal, Greek yogurt, sweet potato and cottage cheese, I’ll put a few drops of stevia and cinnamon. So delicious!
Just making these changes alone can help you look forward to your next healthy meal rather than wish you were at a restaurant. Not to mention, you’ll be saving yourself thousands of calories, and looking better every single day. If you can think of more tips, I’d love to hear them! Leave me a comment or message on Facebook or Instagram, and let me know if this helps!
You can also visit my website ashleykfit.com for more tips and view my latest ebook! Until next week, wishing you a healthy and productive week toward your goals!