1. GREEN TEA EXTRACT. A minimum 80 percent polyphenols and 55 percent EGCG to promote fat loss. My favorite brands are Pure Inventions or Dr. Brandt.
2. LOW-CALORIE WHEY PROTEIN (~ 100 calories/scoop). Many of us need more of the right kind of protein. Unlike most foods, a good whey protein shake (not soy-based) will increase your metabolism by 25 percent. If you’re trying to lose body fat, this is VERY IMPORTANT. Start your day with protein and drink a shake for breakfast!
3. MULTIVITAMIN. It needs to be complete, and it should have all of the essential vitamins and minerals in it. Check the US RDAs (recommended dietary allowance), and make sure that they are high enough if you are trying to lose weight. Not getting enough of the right nutrients can stop weight loss as well. I like New Chapter’s whole food vitamin line.
4. L-CARNITINE or CLA. These fat-burning boosters are important if you have a sluggish metabolism or feel anxious or down. Look for L-Carnitine from a good source. Quality and amount are key here. I like to take L-Carnitine with B vitamins and my omega-3 for extra energy.
5.OMEGA-3. These fatty acids can aid in the breakdown of fat (lipolysis) while simultaneously reducing additional fat storage (lipogenesis). Target for 1-2 grams of EPA and DHA/day.
6.CALCIUM is ideal for weight loss. If you are trying to lose weight, you can’t afford the extra calories from milk, so consider a supplement. Depending on your age, you will need between 1200-1500 milligrams. Your multivitamin will not give you this amount.
7. RED PEPPER AND GINGER. These spices boost body fat loss by increasing metabolic rate and fat burning through their ability to raise levels of norepin-ephrine. They also work to significantly decrease hunger and thus your overall caloric intake.
8. FLAXSEEDS/FLAX OIL. Fats high in essential fatty acids, such as flax, increase the body’s metabolic rate, helping to burn the excess, unhealthy fats in the body.
PROMISING FAT LOSS SUPPLEMENT: Raspberry keytones.
– I would like to see more studies to support this super-fruit product, but initial findings are promising.
TIPS WHEN TAKING SUPPLEMENTS:
• Do not take more than one new supplement each week so you can adequately assess how you feel when taking a supplement and can ensure that it’s working for you.
• Check with a nutritionist to be sure you’re taking the correct dosage for your requirements. More is not always better. If you are taking medication, always check with your doctor prior to adding supplements to your diet.
• When choosing a supplement, always select a quality product that has been FDA Inspected GMP Certified Facility (GMP stands for Good Manufacturing Practice). Not all supplements are created equal!
• Stay consistent. If your supplement schedule is enhancing your health, continue taking it. If it isn’t, then get rid of it!
Remember, fat burning takes time, discipline and consistency. Abs are made in the kitchen and food will be 90 percent of your success, so keep your focus on cleaning up your diet, and don’t think that taking a supplement will do this for you. You have to eat clean, exercise and use supplements to SUPPLEMENT your diet.