If you are getting tired of your typical egg white scrambles, omelets or even plain hard-boiled eggs, frittatas are fun and easy way to prepare your eggs! A frittata is just an Italian version of an omelet. It is an egg dish made on the stove then transferred to the oven. What I love about them is how creative you can get with your additions and toppings. You can add basically anything you want to create a completely different flavor, which makes them all so unique and individualized. You can basically imagine them as an “egg pie.” They are served in wedges and are easily transportable, making them great for grab-and-go meals!
Check out my Super Simple Veggie Frittata that only takes about 20 minutes to prepare. Feel free to add any other veggies, if you wish. I used almond cheese rather than regular cheese, making this a very healthy yet extremely flavorful meal! With only 60 calories and 7 grams of protein per serving, almond cheese makes for a great healthy cheese replacement that you must try.
This entire recipe is just about 200 calories and 20 grams of protein. The fat content mostly comes from monounsaturated healthy fats from the almond cheese. You can’t go wrong with this perfectly healthy meal! Give it a try and let me know what you think!
Gina’s Super Simple Veggie Frittata
5 egg whites
1 whole egg
4-6 asparagus spears, chopped into bite size pieces
1/2 sweet onion, finely chopped
1 medium tomato, sliced or diced
1 tbsp olive oil
2 oz mozzarella almond cheese, grated
1 clove garlic, minced
black pepper, to taste
1. Place oven safe skillet over stovetop and drizzle olive oil to cover the bottom of the pan. A cast iron skillet works fabulous for this recipe!!
2. Add asparagus and onions and sauté until tender and cooked.
3. While veggies are cooking, place egg whites and whole egg in a separate bowl and whisk to combine. Add garlic and black pepper and mix well.
4. Add egg mixture to the skillet and allow to cook on medium heat for about 3 minutes.
5. Top off with sliced tomatoes and grated cheese and place in the broiler to finish cooking. Watch carefully until cheese is melted and golden brown, about 2-4 minutes.
6. Remove skillet from the oven and allow to sit and cool for about 5 minutes until serving.
7. Cut in slices and serve.
Serving Size: 2