When the holiday season was in full swing, I found myself wanting to bake! But rather than baking up some high-calorie and sugar-loaded cookies, I like to get my baking fix by whipping up some of my healthy alternatives.
My Gluten-Free Carrot Muffins satisfy both my baking fix and serve as a great balanced meal when I am on the go! Whether you are in need of quick breakfast or a pre- or post-workout meal, these muffins are the perfect option. They are full of healthy fats from the coconut and almonds, and have a good ratio of carbs and protein. Satisfy your taste buds while staying slim and trim!
GLUTEN-FREE CARROT MUFFINS
4 egg whites
1 whole egg
1 cup of ground almonds (can use almond meal)
4 scoops vanilla protein powder
1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes or shredded coconut
2 tbsp coconut, set aside for topping
4 oz pureed carrots (baby food works great)
1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
1 tsp baking powder
2 mini carrots or 1 large carrot
Coconut oil spray
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray lined muffin pan with coconut oil spray or nonstick spray of your choice.
2. Mix all dry ingredients in blender or food processor (nuts, protein powder, coconut flakes, baking powder).
3. Add liquid ingredients (egg whites, whole egg, carrot puree, and apple sauce) and continue mixing.
4. Add carrots and continue mixing until completely mixed and liquified.
5. Pour batter into muffin pan and sprinkle coconut flakes over top.
6. Place in the oven allow to cook for 15-20 minutes until when punctured with a toothpick, comes out clean.
7. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
Makes 12 mini muffins and 4 servings
Fat: 20 grams
Saturated Fat: 8 grams
Protein: 30 grams
Carbohydrates: 20 grams
Fiber: 6 grams
Sugar: 4 grams