It’s almost Valentine’s Day… what a perfect time for makin’ whoopie— Whoopie Pies, that is! These are also referred to as Black Moons, Devil Dogs, Big Fat Oreos; nonetheless, they are delicious. They are made of two round mound-shaped pieces of chocolate cake, with a sweet, creamy filling sandwiched between them. Now, typically they are not prepared in a healthy manner, but you know mine are! So get to makin’ whoopie!!
Keeping our bodies in shape is hard work… and, yes, it absolutely does mean making sacrifices when it comes to the foods that we choose to eat! However, the key is to still enjoy the foods that you love by simply recreating them into a healthy version. That’s what I’m here for! I’ll take the guesswork away from you and bring you new recipes each and every week! It’s all about being creative with good-for-you foods! As my trademark proclaims, I will always do my best to deliver to you: 100% Taste, 0% Guilt! It’s all here for you and ready to go. Each Alli’s Slim Pickins recipe provides detailed ingredients, nutritional information, and step-by-step instructions on how to prepare each mouth-watering meal! Come on, let’s make it happen…
1/4 cup oat flour
2 TB cocoa powder
1/3 cup chocolate protein powder
1/3 tsp. baking soda
2 packets stevia (or your favorite sweetener)
1 large egg
1 TB coconut oil, melted
3 TB unsweetened applesauce
2 TB water
1/3 cup fat-free ricotta cheese
1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
1-2 packets stevia (or your favorite sweetener), depending upon your desired sweetness
1/3 cup vanilla protein powder (you can use pure whey, but a blend with casein works best for consistency)
How to Prepare
1. Spray a 6-cup jumbo muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
2. In a medium sized mixing bowl, combine oat flour, cocoa powder, protein powder, baking soda, salt, and stevia. Stir to blend. Add egg, coconut oil, applesauce, and water. Mix well until a batter is formed.
3. Pour the batter evenly into the 6 muffin cups.
4. Bake for 8 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean. Remove from the oven and let cool (be careful not to overcook).
5. In the meantime, make the filling (you can also make the filling ahead of time as well so you don’t have to wait as long once the pies are done). Put ricotta cheese, vanilla extract, stevia, and salt into a small mixing bowl and stir together. Add the protein powder and whip with a spoon until the mixture is smooth.
6. Spread half of the mixture onto each of three cookies. Put each of the other cookies on top of the frosted cookies to form 3 sandwiches. It’s time for Whoopie! Enjoy!
100% TASTE, 0% GUILT