Thanksgiving is here! As you prepare for the big day, are you thinking about cooking your family’s favorite candied sweet potato casserole? Will you smother those poor nutritious sweet potatoes in gobs of sugar and butter? Please don’t! Why not try something that tastes just as good, if not better, while keeping it healthy?! Yes, I’m telling you this recipe that I’m providing to you today will (and should) replace the unnecessarily calorie-laden family classic because it is just as delicious! If you’re afraid that your family will be disappointed, have no fear; they might not even know that they’re eating something healthy. Just tell them that you’re giving this new recipe a whirl! (wink, wink!)
Often people use Thanksgiving and the holidays as a time to “excuse” some unhealthy eating habits, giving an allowance for some extra holiday pounds. While we should absolutely treat ourselves, we can still do it the healthy way. Of course an occasional indulgence is something that we all do, but save the indulgences for those times when I’m not around to provide you with such a delicious healthy alternative. Healthy eating doesn’t have to mean sacrificing taste — I’m going to prove that to you: “Alli’s Slim Pickins” 100% Taste, 0% Guilt!
Today I’m bringing you a Smashed Sweeeeet Potato Casserole that will leave you and your family wondering why this dish wasn’t part of the menu years ago. Move over candied sweet potato casserole, your replacement just came to the table!! The thick and creamy texture of these sweet potatoes, combined with the flavors of maple syrup, cinnamon and spices, topped with pecans will leave you begging for Thanksgiving every day of the week! GREAT NEWS! You can make this recipe whenever you wish without the guilt! It’s all here for you and ready to go. Each Alli’s Slim Pickins recipe provides detailed ingredients, nutritional information, and step-by-step instructions on how to prepare each mouth-watering meal! You ready? I am! Come on my sweeeeets, let’s make it happen!!
Thanksgiving: Smashed Sweeeeet Potato Casserole
2 lb sweet potatoes – baked w/ skin removed
1 1/2 TB coconut oil
1/3 cup sugar-free maple syrup
1/4 cup nonfat, unsweetened almond milk
3 egg whites
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 TB coconut flour
1/4 tsp sea salt
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp orange zest
Approx 30 pecan halves
How to Prepare
1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
2. In a large bowl, mash sweet potatoes and coconut oil with a potato masher, until creamy and smooth (if you have a food processor this would be ideal).
3. Add syrup, almond milk, whites, and vanilla extract to the sweet potato mixture and stir until fully blended.
4. Add flour, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and orange zest and mix well.
5. Coat a casserole dish coated (1.5 quart) or baking dish with cooking spray.
6. Scoop smashed sweet potatoes into the dish and smooth with a spatula or spoon to distribute evenly.
7. Arrange pecan halves, side by side, on the outside edges of the sweet potato mash to form one solid ring.
8. Put in oven and bake for approximately 25 minutes, or until lightly browned on top.
9. Remove from oven and let cool for approximately 10 minutes. YUM! (Serves 6)
Per serving (serves 6): 232 calories, 5 grams protein, 33 grams carbohydrates, 8.6 grams fat
100% TASTE, 0% GUILT
Editor’s Note: If you have any specific requests or would like to share your feedback on the above recipes, please e-mail Allison Frahn at AliFrahn@yahoo.com.