How does a nice big bowl of pasta sound? What if you could eat it without feeling an ounce of guilt? Well, you can! Today, I’m unveiling the delectably indulgent Fettuccine Primavera! I’m sure you’re thinking that there is no way this can be made healthy… but ohhhh yes, it will be done! It is so easy to transform typically unhealthy meals into mouth-watering, waist-friendly ones. This is so much fun!
I’m taking you back again to the very basics of Alli’s Slim Pickins; the very premise upon which it was built. I’m taking a favorite food that is typically deemed “not so healthy” and “Slim Pickininzing” it to make it so! I will provide you a ballpark estimate of the nutritionals of the original version and compare it to my version! I’m going to toss these types of recipes in every couple of weeks and call it: “Slim Pickinized!” Therefore, whenever you see these words before the food, you know what the drill is!
The standard Fettuccine dish is typically prepared with a fat-laden heavy sauce. Yes, it’s delicious, but not a good choice from a nutritional perspective. Let’s ENTER THE SLIM PICKINS ZONE! We’re recreating this dish and slashing those calories to smithereens! How much? I’m glad that you asked:
|100% Taste, 0% Guilt||Original||Slim Pickinized|
It’s amazing what a few simple tweaks can do! It’s all about creativity my friends, and I’m excited to provide you with the know-how to do this on your own! Don’t be nervous to re-create some of your favorite recipes once you get the hang of it! You don’t have to suffer in order to eat health— it’s all about taste without the guilt. As my trademark proclaims, I will always do my best to deliver to you: 100% Taste, 0% Guilt!
It’s all here for you and ready to go. Each Alli’s Slim Pickins recipe provides detailed ingredients, nutritional information, and step-by-step instructions on how to prepare each mouth-watering meal! Come on, let’s make it happen…
Slim Pickinized Fettuccine Primavera
2 tsp olive oil
1/2 cup each: broccoli florets, cauliflower florets, sliced mushrooms, chopped onions, sliced red pepper
1 large carrot, sliced
2 light Swiss cheese wedges (like Laughing Cow)
1/4 cup light ricotta cheese
1/3 cup unsweetened almond milk
1/4 cup fresh parmesan cheese, grated
1 package Shiritaki noodles (or Miracle noodles)
1 serving whole wheat fettucine, cooked
½ tsp of each seasoning: garlic powder, sea salt, black pepper, basil
How to Prepare
1. In a large skillet or pot, lightly coated with cooking spray, heat 2 tsp oil over med-high heat.
2. Add broccoli, cauliflower, mushrooms, onions, pepper and carrot.
3. Cook for approximately 10 minutes, stirring frequently, until veggies are tender.
4. Add cheese wedges, ricotta, almond milk and parmesan cheese (reserve approx 1 tsp of parmesan to sprinkle on top once dish is cooked). Stir until all ingredients are well blended.
5. Cook for approximately 10 minutes, stirring frequently, until all cheeses are blended and smooth.
6. Add noodles and seasonings and stir very well. Cook for an additional 5 minutes.
7. Evenly distribute 2 portions onto your favorite plates or bowls (or save one serving for a delicious leftover!) You’ve been Slim Pickinized!! YUM!
Per serving (serves 2): 310 calories, 14 grams protein, 41 gram carbohydrates, 10 grams fat
Editor’s Note: If you have any specific requests or would like to share your feedback on the above recipes, please e-mail Allison Frahn at AliFrahn@yahoo.com.