Because sometimes you just have to eat some pizza! Right?! Well how about eating “pizza” without one ounce of guilt? My Portabella Pizzas allow you to have the flavor of pizza without the calories, carbohydrates and fat by simply swapping the standard crust with a portabella mushroom cap and using low-fat cheese versus the full-fat version. Each Portabella Pizza has only 150 calories, 13 grams of carbohydrates, and 6 grams of fat. Enjoy!
Keeping our bodies in shape is hard work… and, yes, it absolutely does mean making sacrifices when it comes to the foods that we choose to eat! However, the key is to still enjoy the foods that you love by simply recreating them into a healthy version. That’s what I’m here for! I’ll take the guesswork away from you and bring you new recipes each and every week! It’s all about being creative with good-for-you foods! As my trademark proclaims, I will always do my best to deliver to you: 100% Taste, 0% Guilt! It’s all here for you and ready to go. Each Alli’s Slim Pickins recipe provides detailed ingredients, nutritional information, and step-by-step instructions on how to prepare each mouth-watering meal! Come on, let’s make it happen…
3 large portabella mushroom caps
2 tsp. olive oil
1/2 yellow onion, sliced
1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
1 TB basil leaves, chopped (plus extra for garnish, optional)
1.5 TB Italian seasoning
3/4 cup low-sodium tomato sauce (with approximately 50 calories per 1/2 cup)
2 tsp. granulated stevia (or your preferred sweetener)
Salt and pepper, to taste
3/4 cup reduced fat shredded mozzarella cheese
How to Prepare
1. Preheat the oven to broil.
2. Spray the mushroom caps with non-stick cooking spray and broil for 5 minutes on each side until tender.
3. While the mushrooms are broiling, heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium high heat, and add the onion, bell pepper, and basil leaves and cook until onions are browned and translucent and peppers are softened.
4. Add the tomato sauce, stevia, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper to the skillet and cook for approximately 5 minutes, stirring frequently to prevent burning, until the sauce is fully heated and slightly reduced.
5. Apportion 1/3 of the mixture into each of the mushroom caps and top each with ¼ cup mozzarella cheese. Place back under broiler to brown for 3 to 4 minutes. Enjoy!
Per pizza (recipe makes 3): 150 calories, 11 grams protein, 13 grams carbohydrates (3 grams fiber), 6 grams fat
100% TASTE, 0% GUILT
Editor’s Note: If you have any specific requests or would like to share your feedback on the above recipes, please e-mail Allison Frahn at AliFrahn@yahoo.com.