As we come together to celebrate Independence Day, there are going to be countless parties with an array of food and drink. We always have the option to choose the foods that we eat, so let’s celebrate Independence Day the healthy way! A good way to do this is to offer healthy options at your own party or bring a healthy dish to share at someone else’s get-together! With that, I’m going to show you how to make delicious Patriotic Cream Pie Tartlets that are just as fun to look at as they are to eat. Happy Fourth of July!
Keeping our bodies in shape is hard work… and, yes, it absolutely does mean making sacrifices when it comes to the foods that we choose to eat! However, the key is to still enjoy the foods that you love by simply recreating them into a healthy version. That’s what I’m here for! I’ll take the guesswork away from you and bring you new recipes each and every week! It’s all about being creative with good-for-you foods! As my trademark proclaims, I will always do my best to deliver to you: 100% Taste, 0% Guilt! It’s all here for you and ready to go. Each Alli’s Slim Pickins recipe provides detailed ingredients, nutritional information, and step-by-step instructions on how to prepare each mouth-watering meal! Come on, let’s make it happen…
PATRIOTIC CREAM PIE TARTLETS
1 cup nonfat Ricotta cheese
1/2 cup vanilla protein powder (a blend or casein protein will have a better consistency than a pure whey)
1/4 cup almond milk (more or less depending upon protein used)
5 strawberries, sliced in fourths
20 fresh blueberries (approx. 1/3 cup)
How to Prepare
1. Put oat flour and salt into food processor and pulse briefly to combine. Add coconut oil and vanilla extract and pulse until mixture is well blended and crumb-like.
2. Add ice water a couple of tablespoons at a time and continue to pulse just until dough begins to form.
3. Put dough onto a smooth surface and form into a flattened disc with your hands. Wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least one hour.
4. While dough is chilling, put ricotta and vanilla protein powder into the food processor and pulse until well combined. Add almond milk 1 TB at a time, until mixture is smooth and creamy (add just enough almond milk to make creamy without making it into too much of a liquid. You might need more or less almond milk depending upon the protein powder used, so judge accordingly.) Put in fridge until ready for use.
5. Once dough has been chilled, remove from fridge and set oven temperature to 350 degrees. Cut the dough into quarters. Divide each quarter into 5 equal portions, which will give you 20 pieces of dough.
6. Coat a tartlet pan (or you can use a mini-muffin pan) with non-stick cooking spray. Press the dough into the center of each tartlet and form cups by working the dough around the bottom and sides with your fingers.
7. Bake in the oven for approximately 10 minutes, or until light golden brown. Remove and place on wire rack to cool for at least 20 minutes.
8. Remove the cream mixture from the fridge and spoon a heaping TB into each tartlet. Place a blueberry in the center of each tartlet and 3 strawberry slices around the edges. Option: top with a sprig of mint for garnish if you really want to wow your guests. Enjoy!
100% TASTE, 0% GUILT