Zucchini is such a versatile vegetable. With its mild flavor and subtle texture, it can be used in a variety of dishes. With that being said, I used it in today’s recipe for the base of my Meatball Parm Stuffed Zucchini, as it allows for the full flavor of the meat to come through and provides a low-carb alternative to the standard bread roll or pasta that typically accompanies this dish. To lower the calories even further, I used a lean beef and low-fat cheese. Enjoy!
Keeping our bodies in shape is hard work… and, yes, it absolutely does mean making sacrifices when it comes to the foods that we choose to eat! However, the key is to still enjoy the foods that you love by simply recreating them into a healthy version. That’s what I’m here for! I’ll take the guesswork away from you and bring you new recipes each and every week! It’s all about being creative with good-for-you foods! As my trademark proclaims, I will always do my best to deliver to you: 100% Taste, 0% Guilt! It’s all here for you and ready to go. Each Alli’s Slim Pickins recipe provides detailed ingredients, nutritional information, and step-by-step instructions on how to prepare each mouth-watering meal! Come on, let’s make it happen…
MEATBALL PARM STUFFED ZUCCHINI
2 large zucchini
16 oz. 96% lean ground beef
1/2 cup onion, chopped
3/4 cup tomatoes, roughly chopped
1/2 cup red bell pepper, finely chopped
2 TB Italian seasoning
1.5 tsp. garlic powder
salt and pepper, to taste
1 packet sweetener
1/3 cup low-fat shredded Parmesan cheese
How to Prepare
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Cover a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Set aside.
2. Cut each zucchini in half lengthwise. This will provide 4 halves. Scoop out zucchini flesh, leaving ¼ in thick shells. Place the shells on the baking sheet and finely chop the zucchini that was scooped out.
3. Put shells in oven for 10 minutes to soften.
4. In the meantime, coat a large skillet with non-stick cooking spray over medium-high heat and add ground beef, chopped zucchini flesh, onion, tomatoes, red pepper, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and sweetener and sauté approximately 10 minutes until beef and veggies are browned. Stir and chop with the back of a spoon or spatula frequently in order to fully break up beef into fine crumbles. Remove from heat and set aside.
5. After you have removed the zucchini shells, increase oven temperature to broil.
6. Spoon ¼ of the beef mixture into each of the zucchini shells (it’s OK if it slightly overflows) and sprinkle 1.5 TB of shredded Parmesan over each half.
7. Return to oven and broil for approximately 5-7 minutes or until cheese is melted and tops are golden brown. Enjoy!
100% TASTE, 0% GUILT