If you eat a taco salad without the shell (the best part!) because you try to avoid the excess fat and calories, well the struggle is over! Now you can eat every morsel of the salad, including the entire shell, guilt free! How? Just follow my recipe below! My Low-Fat/Low-Carb Taco Salad is so easy to make and so incredibly delicious. What’s more? There’s basically no cleanup since you, well, eat the bowl! This salad is perfect for those summer days when you don’t feel like eating anything hot or heavy. Enjoy!
Keeping our bodies in shape is hard work… and, yes, it absolutely does mean making sacrifices when it comes to the foods that we choose to eat! However, the key is to still enjoy the foods that you love by simply recreating them into a healthy version. That’s what I’m here for! I’ll take the guesswork away from you and bring you new recipes each and every week! It’s all about being creative with good-for-you foods! As my trademark proclaims, I will always do my best to deliver to you: 100% Taste, 0% Guilt! It’s all here for you and ready to go. Each Alli’s Slim Pickins recipe provides detailed ingredients, nutritional information, and step-by-step instructions on how to prepare each mouth-watering meal! Come on, let’s make it happen…
LOW-FAT HOMEMADE TACO SALAD
Large low-carb tortilla (containing approximately 80 calories)
4 oz. 96% lean ground beef
1 TB lime juice
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. ground cumin
2 TB salsa (mild or hot)
4 cups green leaf lettuce, chopped
1/4 small red onion, finely chopped
1/2 tomato, finely chopped
1 oz. low fat shredded cheese
How to Prepare
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Spray both sides of the low-carb tortilla with non-stick cooking spray and lay over a small bowl (make sure the bowl is small enough so that the sides of the tortilla are high enough to form a deep tortilla bowl for the salad).
3. Bake for approximately 10 minutes, or until the tortilla is golden brown and firm. (Note, check every few minutes to ensure that the tortilla doesn’t burn.)
4. Remove from oven. Set aside.
5. In the meantime, add the ground beef to a skillet over medium-high heat with the lime, garlic, cumin, and salsa.
6. Sauté, stirring and chopping frequently with a spatula, until beef mixture is browned. Remove from heat.
7. Take the tortilla off the bowl and turn upside down to form the tortilla bowl. Layer in chopped lettuce, ground beef, tomatoes, red onion, and top with low-fat cheese. Enjoy!
OPTIONS: You can substitute grilled chicken or your preferred protein choice for the ground beef. Also, top with your favorite low-fat dressing if you choose (my fave is low-fat ranch). Not included in below nutritional data.
100% TASTE, 0% GUILT