There’s just something about key lime pie that makes me happy! It brings back vivid memories of warm weather, the Florida Keys, and the delicious creamy citrus taste! There are so many variations of the key lime pie (even in the Keys where it supposedly originated); some have meringue topping, some without, some with crust, etc. However, one thing is unanimous— they are usually loaded with sugar and fat. So, how can you still savor the beautiful taste without the guilt? You guessed it! That’s where I step in! I have recreated yet another version of the key lime pie that won’t ruin that waistline… for fewer than 200 calories!!!
As we know, keeping our bodies in shape is hard work… and yes it absolutely does mean making sacrifices when it comes to the foods that we choose to eat! However, the key is to still enjoy the foods that you love by simply recreating them into a healthy version. That’s what I’m here for! I’ll take the guesswork away from you and bring you new recipes each and every week! It’s all about ingredient swaps!
|KICK TO THE CURB||SLIM PICKINIZE|
|Condensed Milk||Coconut/Almond Milk|
The key (no pun intended) to this recipe is swapping the condensed milk, egg yolk and sugar filling with coconut milk and lime gelatin, and the butter in the crust with apple sauce! You won’t miss the original ingredients one bit! It’s amazing what a few simple tweaks can do! It’s all about creativity, my friends, and I’m excited to provide you with the know-how to do this on your own! Don’t be nervous to recreate some of your favorite recipes once you get the hang of it! You don’t have to suffer in order to eat healthy— it’s all about taste without the guilt. As my trademark proclaims, I will always do my best to deliver to you: 100% Taste, 0% Guilt!
It’s all here for you and ready to go. Each Alli’s Slim Pickins recipe provides detailed ingredients, nutritional information, and step-by-step instructions on how to prepare each mouth-watering meal! Come on, let’s make it happen…
“Key Lime” Pie DeLight
1 1/4 cup graham crumbs
1 egg white
2 TB unsweetened apple sauce
1/2 tsp sea salt
3 oz package sugar-free lime gelatin
1/2 cup unsweetened coconut OR almond milk
1/3 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
1 1/4 cup fat free whipped topping (like Cool Whip)
1 scoop vanilla protein powder
3 large egg whites
1/3 cup granulated stevia or Splenda
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
1 tsp vanilla extract
How to Prepare
- Preheat oven to 350°
- CRUST: Put graham cracker crumbs, salt, applesauce, and egg white in a bowl and mix until crumbly. Press onto bottom and sides of 9-inch round pan coated with non-stick cooking spray. Put in oven and bake for 8 minutes. Remove from oven to cool.
- FILLING: Heat milk in sauce pan until hot, but not boiling. Put gelatin mix into mixing bowl, pour the hot milk over gelatin and mix until gelatin is fully dissolved. Stir in yogurt until fully blended. Set in fridge to let cool approximately 10 minutes. Remove from fridge and stir in whipped topping and protein powder until smooth and well blended. Scoop and spread evenly over the cooled crust. Set aside.
- Adjust oven temperature to broil setting
- MERINGUE: Beat egg whites and cream of tartar in a mixing bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add Splenda/sugar and continue mixing until the egg whites are glossy and hold stiff peaks. Blend in vanilla.
- Spread meringue over top of pie filling, be creative and decoratively swirl peaks on top! Put in oven and broil until meringue is lightly browned on top, only 30 seconds to 1 minute. Watch carefully to ensure that this doesn’t burn! Remove from oven and put in fridge to fully set, approximately 2 hours. Garnish with lime slices and grated lime rind (optional). Enjoy!!
Per slice (serves 6): 194 calories, 10 grams protein, 33 grams carbohydrates, 2.5 grams fat
100% TASTE, 0% GUILT
If you have any specific requests or would like to share your feedback on the above recipes, please e-mail Allison Frahn at AliFrahn@yahoo.com.