“Here comes Peter Cotton Tail, hopping down the bunny trail, hippity hoppity, Easter is on its way!” If you haven’t heard that jingle before, maybe now is a good time to google it! Oh, you can’t because you’re up to your elbows in Easter egg dye? Tell me about it! I absolutely loved dyeing Easter eggs when I was a kid— and guess what, I still do! There is just something about all of those beautiful colors and designs that makes me so happy! So, if you’re like me, you’ve hard-boiled and dyed at least a dozen eggs; you will hide them… the kids will find them (hopefully all of them)… and then what to do with these eggs? Hmmm…well I’ve got just the solution for you! Let’s make some delicious treats! Eggs are too valuable to waste— they are so tasty, high in protein and so convenient for snacking on the go! (Just try to avoid eating on an airplane… but I digress.) Time to have even more fun with Easter egg recipes; all it takes is a little creativity… I’m going to prove that to you: “Alli’s Slim Pickins!” 100% Taste, 0% Guilt
Today I’m bringing you three quick and easy recipes utilizing hard-boiled eggs to make use of those colorful nutritional powerhouses that you created for Easter. It’s all here for you and ready to go. Each Alli’s Slim Pickins recipe provides detailed ingredients, nutritional information, and step-by-step instructions on how to prepare each mouth-watering meal! You ready? I am! Let’s make it happen! HOPPY EASTER!!
Deviled (Angel) Eggs
6 hard-boiled eggs, sliced in half length-wise, whites only + 1 yolk
1/3 cup roasted garlic hummus (or your favorite flavor)
1 tablespoon chopped pickle
1 TB dijon mustard (I like Dijonnaise)
A pinch of sea salt and pepper, to taste
A dash of paprika for topping
How to Prepare
- Put sliced eggs onto a plate and set aside.
- Put hummus, pickle, mustard, salt and pepper into a bowl and mix well until smooth and creamy.
- Scoop the mixture evenly into each of the 12 egg white halves. Sprinkle a dash of paprika over the top. Enjoy!
Per serving (serves 2— 6 halves!): 126 calories, 10.5 grams protein, 8 grams carbohydrates, 6 grams fat
1/3 cup oats, prepared according to directions with water
4 hard-boiled eggs, whites only, finely chopped
1/2 tsp cinnamon
A pinch of nutmeg
1/2 scoop vanilla protein powder
1 TB raisins
1 tsp almond butter
1 packet stevia
How to Prepare
- Prepare the oatmeal according to the package directions in a large bowl.
- Stir in the egg whites, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla protein, raisins, almond butter and stevia.
- Mix well until thoroughly blended. Enjoy!
Per serving (serves 1): 282 calories, 29 grams protein, 29 grams carbohydrates, 5.5 grams fat
Chopped Egg Salad
6 hard-boiled eggs, whites only, chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
4 cups spinach
1/4 cup ea: celery, red onion – chopped
1/2 avocado (100 g), cut into bite size pieces
1 small apple, cut into bite size pieces
1/4 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
1 TB apple cider vinegar
2 tsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1 pkt stevia
How to Prepare
- Put yogurt, vinegar, lemon juice, salt, pepper and stevia in a large mixing bowl. Mix well until smooth and creamy.
- Add celery, onion, avocado, apple and egg whites to bowl and mix thoroughly. Then add the spinach and toss to mix well.
- Divide evenly amongst 2 plates. Enjoy!
Per serving (serves 2): 190 calories, 13.5 grams protein, 17 grams carbohydrates, 7.5 grams fat
100% TASTE, 0% GUILT
If you have any specific requests or would like to share your feedback on the above recipes, please e-mail Allison Frahn at AliFrahn@yahoo.com.