There are so many variations of fish tacos— and some are a lot healthier than others! It’s important to check the ingredient description on the menu or ask your server…or, you could always make them yourself and take that worry away altogether. “How?” I’m happy you asked! Today I’m bringing you an insanely healthy, yet incredibly delicious and low-carb Grilled Fish Taco! It has all the flavors of this Mexican-inspired treat, without any of the guilt! The crunchy jicama covered in the sweet and spicy cilantro lime dressing combines with the warm flaky texture of the tilapia all snuggled in a low-carb tortilla to create a taste bud explosion (…all for fewer than 300 calories)!
Keeping our bodies in shape is hard work…and, yes, it absolutely does mean making sacrifices when it comes to the foods that we choose to eat! However, the key is to still enjoy the foods that you love by simply recreating them into a healthy version. That’s what I’m here for! I’ll take the guesswork away from you and bring you new recipes each and every week! It’s all about being creative with good-for-you foods! As my trademark proclaims, I will always do my best to deliver to you: 100% Taste, 0% Guilt! It’s all here for you and ready to go. Each Alli’s Slim Pickins recipe provides detailed ingredients, nutritional information, and step-by-step instructions on how to prepare each mouth-watering meal! Come on, let’s make it happen…
GRILLED FISH TACOS
(3) 4 oz. raw tilapia filets
1/4 cup lime juice
1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
2 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. each sea salt and pepper
3 TB lime juice
2 TB olive oil
2 TB rice wine vinegar
1 tsp. chili powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
Pinch each sea salt and pepper
2 packets Truvia (or your favorite sweetener)
1.5 cups shredded jicama
1/3 cup chopped red onion
1/3 cup chopped red bell pepper
2 TB chopped cilantro
(3) low-carb tortillas
How to Prepare
1. Put raw tilapia filets into a large Ziploc bag and add the marinade ingredients. Seal the bag and gently toss to thoroughly combine and coat the fish. Set aside for 10 minutes.
2. In the meantime, put all “dressing” ingredients into a large mixing bowl and stir well to combine.
3. Add all “slaw” ingredients to the bowl with the dressing and stir well to coat. Set aside.
4. Heat your Foreman grill or grill pan (you can pan sear if you don’t have a grill) and cook the marinated filets for approximately 8 minutes (be sure to flip if you are using a pan) or until fish is fully cooked with a deep golden brown crust.
5. Arrange the low-carb tortillas onto a plate and put one filet onto each tortilla.
6. Give the slaw a final mix and divide evenly onto each of the three tilapia filets. Roll it up and enjoy!
Per taco (recipe makes 3): 280 calories, 28 grams protein, 13 grams carbohydrates, 13 grams fat
Editor’s Note: If you have any specific requests or would like to share your feedback on the above recipes, please e-mail Allison Frahn at AliFrahn@yahoo.com.