To gluten or not to gluten, that is the question. No, I’m not referring to your backside— I’m referring to the protein that is found in wheat, barley and rye. Those who are affected by gluten have to be very cautious. At one extreme is the one percent of the U.S. population that has celiac disease, but experts estimate that as many as 10 percent have non-celiac gluten intolera nce, or gluten sensitivity. If after eating a food or food product containing the gluten grain you feel lethargic, have stomach bloating, gas, etc then you might very well have some form of gluten sensitivity. However, only you and your doctor can determine this.
So what do you eat? Well, it’s really what you don’t eat and that’s anything that contains this gluten protein! Trust me, it cuts out a lot of foods and what’s even trickier is that gluten is hidden in so many food products such as salad dressings and soy sauce— who would’ve thought?! One of the biggest restrictions for gluten-sensitive people is breads and baked goods because of the origin of the flours used. However, have no fear! (I bet you knew that was coming, right?) This is where I step in!
Being that it’s not a comfortable feeling to experience any gastrointestinal discomfort and/or other complications, I’m going to provide you a delicious recipe that you can still enjoy without the fear of gluten. In fact, you probably won’t miss the gluten-packed version one bit! Today I’m bringing you gluten-free berry banana nut bread! Oh yes, and it will be done my way… the healthy way… the Alli’s Slim Pickins way!! You don’t have to suffer in order to eat healthy— it’s all about taste without the guilt and without the gluten!! As my trademark proclaims, I will always do my best to deliver to you: 100 percent Taste, 0 percent Guilt!
It’s all here for you and ready to go. Each Alli’s Slim Pickins recipe provides detailed ingredients, nutritional information and step-by-step instructions on how to prepare each mouth-watering meal! Come on, let’s make it happen…
GLUTEN-FREE Berry Delicious Banana Nut Bread
1 ½ cups brown rice flour
1/2 cup oat flour
1/2 cup gluten-free strawberry protein powder
1 ½ tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp sea salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1 oz walnuts
2 eggs + 1 egg white, beaten
4 ripe bananas, mashed
1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup granulated stevia
3 TB melted coconut oil
1/2 cup fresh cherry halves
How to Prepare
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Coat bread pan/loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine brown rice flour, oat flour, protein powder, baking powder, baking soda, sea salt, cinnamon and walnuts. Mix thoroughly and set aside.
- In a separate mixing bowl, mix beaten eggs, mashed bananas, applesauce, vanilla, stevia and melted coconut oil. Stir thoroughly until well blended.
- Add the banana mixture to the bowl with the dry ingredients and stir until all ingredients are well blended and batter is formed.
- Fold in cherry halves.
- Pour batter into bread pan.
- Bake for approximately 60 minutes or until knife inserted in center of bread loaf comes out clean and loaf is golden brown.
- Remove from pan after about 15 minutes and cool on wire rack. Cut into 8 slices and enjoy the gluten-free goodness!!
Per slice (serves 8): 298 calories, 11 grams protein, 41 grams carbohydrates, 10 grams fat
100% TASTE, 0% GUILT
If you have any specific requests or would like to share your feedback on the above recipes, please e-mail Allison Frahn at AliFrahn@yahoo.com.
Check out more of Alli’s recipes at: www.AllisonFrahn.com and www.AllisSlimPickins.com and remember, it’s 100% TASTE, 0% GUILT