Hi all! I’m going to go back to the basics of Alli’s Slim Pickins; the very premise upon which I built this brand. I’m taking a favorite food that is typically deemed "not so healthy" and Slim Pickinizing it to make it so! I will provide you a ballpark estimate of the nutritionals of the original version and compare it to my version. I’m going to throw these in every couple of weeks and call it: "Slim Pickinized!" Therefore, whenever you see these words before the recipe, you’ll know what the drill is. I’m kicking it off with this seasonal favorite that is currently begg-nog-pancakeeing offered for a limited time in a restaurant chain — the Egg Nog pancake!
If you have seen this in their ads or at the actual restaurant, you would agree that it looks SO incredibly delicious. BUT it is jam packed with excessive calories, sugar and fat. Two sweet pancakes layered around egg nog cream and smothered in sugar, butter rum sauce and whipped topping. Sound good? Yes! However, you might as well kiss that waist line goodbye! Want to know how can you have your cake and keep that waistline too? That’s what I’m here for! I’m going to demonstrate how easy it can be to transform typically unhealthy recipes in to mouth-watering, waist-friendly ones with the same flavor. This is so much fun ☺
ENTER THE SLIM PICKINS ZONE! We’re recreating this Egg Nog Pancake and slashing those calories to smithereens! How much? I’m glad that you asked.
|100% Taste, 0% Guilt||Original Egg Nog pancake||Slim Pickinized Egg Nog pancake|
It’s amazing what a few simple tweaks can do. It’s all about creativity my friends and I’m excited to provide you with the know-how to do this on your own. Don’t be nervous to re-create some of your favorite recipes once you get the hang of it. You don’t have to suffer in order to eat healthy – it’s all about taste without the guilt. As my trademark proclaims, I will always do my best to deliver to you: 100% Taste, 0% Guilt!
It’s all here for you and ready to go. Each Alli’s Slim Pickins recipe provides detailed ingredients, nutritional information, and step-by-step instructions on how to prepare each mouth-watering meal! Come on, let’s make it happen…
Slim Pickinized Egg Nog Pancake
1/3 cup + 1TB whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 TB unsweetened applesauce
1/4 cup egg whites
1/4 cup water
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 scoop Vanilla Protein Powder (I like the thick consistency of MHP Probolic)
1 tsp rum extract
1/4 cup fat free ricotta cheese
1 TB light butter spread
1 TB sugar free maple syrup, plus extra to drizzle on top of finished pancakes
3 TB unsweetened almond milk or water
How to Prepare
- Put all pancake ingredients in a bowl and whisk until batter is smooth, with no lumps. Set aside.
- Put all filling ingredients in a bowl and mix with a spoon until smooth and thick. Set aside.
- Coat a small skillet with cooking spray and place on stove over medium heat.
- Pour half of the pancake batter into the skillet. Once the top of the pancake is bubbling and the bottom is golden brown (approximately 2 minutes), flip over.
- Once underside of pancake is browned (approximately 2 minutes), remove pancake from pan and place on a plate.
- Repeat this process with the remaining half of the batter.
- Once both pancakes are cooked, spread the filling over once pancake (reserve a small dollop for the top) and place the second pancake on top.
- Put reserved filling mixture on top of the second pancake and drizzle with the sugar free syrup. Enjoy! YUM!!!!
Editor’s Note: If you have any specific requests or would like to share your feedback on the above recipes, please e-mail Allison Frahn at AliFrahn@yahoo.com.