Even though complex recipes that contain a lot of various ingredients are delicious, recipes that contain just a few ingredients can be equally as delicious in their own simple way. I’m going to prove that to you today with my Chocolate Almond Poached Pears. The poached pear is cooked in such a way that it practically melts in your mouth; top that with the rich chocolate coating and crunchy almonds and this dessert is one you won’t soon forget. You could even heat and serve with a scoop of frozen yogurt for an added treat. Enjoy!
Keeping our bodies in shape is hard work… and, yes, it absolutely does mean making sacrifices when it comes to the foods that we choose to eat! However, the key is to still enjoy the foods that you love by simply recreating them into a healthy version. That’s what I’m here for! I’ll take the guesswork away from you and bring you new recipes each and every week! It’s all about being creative with good-for-you foods! As my trademark proclaims, I will always do my best to deliver to you: 100% Taste, 0% Guilt! It’s all here for you and ready to go. Each Alli’s Slim Pickins recipe provides detailed ingredients, nutritional information, and step-by-step instructions on how to prepare each mouth-watering meal! Come on, let’s make it happen…
CHOCOLATE ALMOND POACHED PEARS
1 cup water
1/3 cup granulated stevia (or your favorite sweetener)
1 TB almond extract
1/2 cup chocolate protein powder (a blend or casein protein will have a better consistency than a pure whey)
1/4 cup almond milk (more or less depending upon protein used)
1 TB coconut oil
2 TB sliced almonds
How to Prepare
1. In a small, shallow saucepan, combine the water, stevia, and extract. Stir to mix evenly and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
2. Peel the pears and leave the stems. Remove the core from the bottom of the pear. Decrease the heat to medium low and place the pears into the liquid, cover and cook for 30 minutes or until the pears are tender but not falling apart (maintain a gentle simmer, do not boil).
3. Remove the pears and stand upright onto a plate. Place in the refrigerator.
4. Empty the water from the saucepan and add the almond milk, coconut oil, and salt. Place over medium-low heat and stir frequently until the coconut oil is completely melted and milk is warm. Turn off the heat and stir in the protein powder until mixture is nice and smooth.
5. Remove the pairs from the fridge and drizzle evenly over the pears. Sprinkle 1 TB of sliced almonds over each pair. Put back into the refrigerator until cool, approximately one hour. Enjoy!
Per pear (recipe makes 2): 285 calories, 13 grams protein, 33 grams carbohydrates (6 grams fiber), 11 grams fat
100% TASTE, 0% GUILT
Editor’s Note: If you have any specific requests or would like to share your feedback on the above recipes, please e-mail Allison Frahn at AliFrahn@yahoo.com.