Who doesn’t love pizza? Well, I’m showing you how to make a vegetable taste like pizza— just trust me on this one. Zucchini is such a versatile vegetable with its mild flavor and subtle texture that it can be used in a variety of dishes. With that being said, I used it in my recipe for the base of my Chicken Pizza Zucchini Boats, as it allows for the full flavor of the “pizza” filling to come through and provides a low-carb alternative to the dough that is used. To lower the calories even further, I used low-fat cheese. Enjoy!
Keeping our bodies in shape is hard work… and, yes, it absolutely does mean making sacrifices when it comes to the foods that we choose to eat! However, the key is to still enjoy the foods that you love by simply recreating them into a healthy version. That’s what I’m here for! I’ll take the guesswork away from you and bring you new recipes each and every week! It’s all about being creative with good-for-you foods! As my trademark proclaims, I will always do my best to deliver to you: 100% Taste, 0% Guilt! It’s all here for you and ready to go. Each Alli’s Slim Pickins recipe provides detailed ingredients, nutritional information, and step-by-step instructions on how to prepare each mouth-watering meal! Come on, let’s make it happen…
CHICKEN “PIZZA” ZUCCHINI BOATS
2 large yellow squash
12 oz. chicken breast, grilled
1/2 cup canned diced tomatoes, drained
1/2 small yellow onion
1 tsp. each: dried basil, dried oregano
salt and pepper, to taste
1/2 cup shredded low-fat mozzarella cheese
2 TB sliced black olives (optional)
How to Prepare
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Chop grilled chicken into bize-size pieces. Set aside.
3. Cut each squash in half lengthwise and scoop out flesh, leaving a 1/4-inch shell (be careful not to cut through the shell).
4. Chop squash flesh (that was removed) and yellow onion into finely diced pieces.
5. Spray a large skillet with non-stick cooking spray and put over medium-high heat. Add chopped squash, onion, and tomatoes to the skillet and cook for approximately 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until mixture has softened.
6. Remove skillet from heat and add diced chicken, basil, oregano, salt and pepper and mix well to combine.
7. Place the zucchini halves onto a baking sheet coated with non-stick cooking spray. Divide the chicken mixture evenly into each of the 4 halves.
8. Bake for 15 minutes. Carefully remove from oven and top with mozzarella cheese and sliced olives. Bake for an additional 10 minutes, or until cheese is melted and golden brown and squash is heated through.
100% TASTE, 0% GUILT