I hope that you all had the opportunity to check out last week’s introduction recipe, and the first of my "Fall in love with Fall!" series Pumpkin Pie Pancakes; if you didn’t, click here!. As promised, I’m going to continue this series with my Chicken n’ Butternut Squash Stew. The sweet flavors of the squash and applesauce, combined with the salty (low sodium) chicken broth, along with the aromatic vegetables and spices, will leave your taste buds love struck and begging for more! May this stew bring you warmth, comfort, satiety, and all the flavors of Fall. Just think about sitting around the table enjoying this warm stew with family and friends as you laugh and reminisce, or simply curling up with a good book and savoring a large bowl all by yourself.
It’s all here for you and ready to go. Each Alli’s Slim Pickins recipe provides detailed ingredients, nutritional information, and step-by-step instructions on how to prepare each mouth-watering meal! You ready? I am! Come on my Fall-in-lovers, let’s make it happen!!
Fall in Love with Fall: Chicken n’ Butternut Squash Stew
16 oz. raw chicken breast, cut into bite size pieces
1 TB olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 gloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup each, chopped: green and red pepper
1/2 cup canned diced tomatoes, no salt added
2 pkg frozen winter squash, thawed
3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 cup chicken broth, low sodium canned
1 tsp poultry seasoning
1/2 tsp each: nutmeg and ground cumin
Salt and pepper, to taste (optional)
How to Prepare
- Heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Add chicken and brown about 10 to 15 minutes, or until no longer pink in center.
- Remove chicken and put on a plate.
- Add onion, garlic, peppers, and tomatoes to pan; sauté on medium heat about 10 minutes, or until browned.
- Return chicken to the pan with the vegetable mixture. Add squash, applesauce, broth, and remaining spice ingredients.
- Stir well and bring to a simmer. Cook, partially covered, about 20 minutes, until stew is nice and thick.
- Serve in your favorite bowl and dig in! Are you in love?? Enjoy!
TIP: feel free to garnish w/ some parsley or a dollop of light sour cream (not included in below stated nutrition
100% TASTE, 0% GUILT
Per serving (serves 1): 276 calories, 27 grams protein, 29 grams carbohydrates, 6 grams fat
Editor’s Note: If you have any specific requests or would like to share your feedback on the above recipes, please e-mail Allison Frahn at AliFrahn@yahoo.com.