I have recreated this Italian favorite to slash the fat content that usually exists if ordered out at a restaurant. Wait until you try this delicious Chicken Cacciatore dish – the tomatoes, peppers, onions and spices join forces to create a flavor explosion; you won’t miss those excess fat grams one bit and your waistline will thank us!! It’s all here for you and ready to go. Each Alli’s Slim Pickins recipe provides detailed ingredients, nutritional information, and step-by-step instructions on how to prepare each mouth-watering meal!
[vid file=”/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/allison-frahn-chicken-cacciatore.mp4″ image=”/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/allison-frahn-chicken-cacciatore.jpg” width=”640″ height=”505″]
1TB olive oil
2 lb raw chicken breasts
1 large yellow onion
1 large ea: green pepper, red pepper
28 oz. can low sodium crushed tomatoes
3/4 cup reduced sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 tsp sea salt
3 fresh basil leaves
1 TB dried oregano
2 tsp ea: fennel seed, garlic powder
How to Prepare
- Heat olive oil in large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add chicken breasts and cook for approximately 5-7 minutes, until browned on bottom. Then, flip the chicken and brown the opposite side.
- Once both sides are browned, add the onion and peppers. Cook approximately 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until veggies are slightly tender and browned.
- Reduce heat to low and add crushed tomatoes, chicken broth, white wine, salt, basil, oregano, fennel and garlic.
- Cover and cook for approximately 45 minutes, stirring occasionally to avoid burning the bottom of the pot. Then remove the cover, turn the heat up to medium and cook for an additional 15-20 minutes to slightly reduce and thicken the sauce (stir occasionally to avoid burning). Enjoy!!
Note: If you’re not counting your carbs, serve over Whole Wheat Pasta. If you are counting your carbs, serve with a salad or your favorite veggie! *not included in below nutritionals
Per serving (serves 4): 327 calories, 45 grams protein, 25 grams carbohydrates, 5 grams fat
100% TASTE, 0% GUILT
Editor’s Note: If you have any specific requests or would like to share your feedback on the above recipes, please e-mail Allison Frahn at AliFrahn@yahoo.com.