Holy Crepe! You won’t believe how scrumptious this breakfast (or dessert…or lunch…or dinner…you get the point) is, and it’s just perfect for us fitness fanatics! Why? It is super easy to make, so incredibly healthy, and it kills the sweet tooth craving that we so often get! This week I’m featuring the Caramelized Banana-stuff’d Crepe! Prepare your taste buds because they’re about to get wet! I start with a low-carb crepe and fill it with bananas that have been heated over a high flame with cinnamon and coconut oil to create a caramelized flavor and texture that is out of this world! This treat will leave you saying Ooh La La, or you’ll at least be thinking it! What’s more? It has only 240 calories!!
Keeping our bodies in shape is hard work… and, yes, it absolutely does mean making sacrifices when it comes to the foods that we choose to eat! However, the key is to still enjoy the foods that you love by simply recreating them into a healthy version. That’s what I’m here for! I’ll take the guesswork away from you and bring you new recipes each and every week! It’s all about being creative with good-for-you foods! As my trademark proclaims, I will always do my best to deliver to you: 100% Taste, 0% Guilt! It’s all here for you and ready to go. Each Alli’s Slim Pickins recipe provides detailed ingredients, nutritional information, and step-by-step instructions on how to prepare each mouth-watering meal! Come on, let’s make it happen…
Caramelized Banana-stuff’d Crepe
2 tsp. coconut oil
1 medium banana, sliced
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
a pinch of salt
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 egg whites
1/2 scoop vanilla protein powder
2 TB water
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
How to Prepare
1. FILLING: Heat coconut oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add banana slices, cinnamon and salt. Let the bananas cook about 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent burning, until the bananas and cinnamon have caramelized (a nice rich brown color and thick syrupy coating).
2. CREPES: While the bananas are caramelizing, put whites, protein powder, water and vanilla into a blender. Blend until smooth (if you don’t have a blender, you can use a whisk but be sure to blend very well until batter is completely smooth).
3. Coat a separate 10’’ skillet with non-stick cooking spray and put over medium-high heat.
4. The KEY here is technique!! Pour the batter onto the skillet and swirl all around to cover the bottom of the pan in a very thin layer. After approximately 90 seconds, or once it starts to bubble and bottom is golden brown, flip crepe over and cook for an additional 60 seconds or until underside is golden brown.
5. Put crepe onto a plate and fold in half. Scoop the caramelized bananas onto the crepe and fold the crepe in half again to seal in all the goodness. ENJOY!!
100% TASTE, 0% GUILT
Per serving (entire recipe): 240 calories, 18 grams protein, 21 grams carbohydrates, 9.0 grams fat
Editor’s Note: If you have any specific requests or would like to share your feedback on the above recipe, please e-mail Allison Frahn at AliFrahn@yahoo.com.