I absolutely love when people take standard foods and step it up a notch to produce something totally creative; for instance— pizza! It started out as some dough with a little tomato sauce, some herbs and cheese. Huh, now that just seems plain old boring!! You can get anything you want added to it these days, i.e., meat lovers, veggies, pineapple, ham, etc. Well, let’s take that a step further and call out that you can even get basically two meals in one with offerings such as Baked Ziti Pizza, Buffalo Chicken Pizza, Taco Pizza…and on and on and on. Wow! How good do these sound? But, as usual, we avoid such foods due to the excess calories, fat, etc. that so easily add up! Well, I’m going to bring you a healthy Buffalo Chicken Pizza today that tastes amazing but with only a fraction of the calories!
Keeping our bodies in shape is hard work…and, yes, it absolutely does mean making sacrifices when it comes to the foods that we choose to eat! However, the key is to still enjoy the foods that you love by simply recreating them into a healthy version. That’s what I’m here for! I’ll take the guesswork away from you and bring you new recipes each and every week! It’s all about being creative with good-for-you foods! As my trademark proclaims, I will always do my best to deliver to you: 100% Taste, 0% Guilt! It’s all here for you and ready to go. Each Alli’s Slim Pickins recipe provides detailed ingredients, nutritional information, and step-by-step instructions on how to prepare each mouth-watering meal! Come on, let’s make it happen…
BUFFALO CHICKEN PIZZA
6″ Whole-wheat pita bread
1/4 cup buffalo sauce
1/4 tsp. each: garlic powder, sea salt, cayenne
3 oz. grilled chicken, cut into bite size pieces
2 TB each: chopped: red bell pepper, spinach
1 TB corn
1/4 cup low-fat shredded mozzarella cheese
2 TB low-fat blue cheese dressing
How to Prepare
1. Preheat oven to 375ºF
2. Line a baking pan with a piece of foil and place the pita bread on top and bake in oven for 8 minutes or until lightly browned.
3. In the meantime, combine buffalo sauce, garlic powder, sea salt, cayenne and chicken in a bowl and mix well. Set aside.
4. Remove pita from oven and spread chicken mixture evenly over the top of the pita.
5. Layer the bell pepper, spinach and corn on top. Then drizzle the blue cheese dressing, followed by the mozzarella cheese.
6. Put back in the oven and bake for an additional 8 minutes, or until cheese is fully melted. Enjoy!
Per pizza (recipe makes 1): 390 calories, 39 grams protein, 35 grams carbohydrates, 10.5 grams fat
Editor’s Note: If you have any specific requests or would like to share your feedback on the above recipes, please e-mail Allison Frahn at AliFrahn@yahoo.com.