If you have ever cooked extra lean ground turkey and had it come out so dry that you could barely swallow it, then you are definitely going to love me after introducing you to this recipe. Oftentimes, extra lean meats come out dry because the moistness lends itself to the fat of the meat. You can overcome this via cooking methods and/or adding healthy fats to the meats before cooking. My Avocado Stuffed Turkey Meatballs are a perfect example of this. Enjoy!
Keeping our bodies in shape is hard work… and, yes, it absolutely does mean making sacrifices when it comes to the foods that we choose to eat! However, the key is to still enjoy the foods that you love by simply recreating them into a healthy version. That’s what I’m here for! I’ll take the guesswork away from you and bring you new recipes each and every week! It’s all about being creative with good-for-you foods! As my trademark proclaims, I will always do my best to deliver to you: 100% Taste, 0% Guilt! It’s all here for you and ready to go. Each Alli’s Slim Pickins recipe provides detailed ingredients, nutritional information, and step-by-step instructions on how to prepare each mouth-watering meal! Come on, let’s make it happen…
AVOCADO STUFFED TURKEY MEATBALLS
20 oz. extra lean ground turkey, raw
1/4 cup egg whites
1/3 cup oats
1/4 cup chopped celery
2TB dehydrated onion flakes
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. poultry seasoning
1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
1/2 tsp. salt
5 oz. avocado, cubed into 10 equal pieces
How to Prepare
1. Cot a large skillet with non-stick cooking spray and put on stove, but don’t turn on heat yet.
2. Coat a cookie sheet with non-stick cooking spray; set aside.
3. In a food processor, combine turkey, egg whites, oats, celery, onion flakes, poultry seasoning, salt, pepper, and 2 cubes avocado (leaving 8 cubes of avocado for later in the recipe) and blend until smooth.
Note: if you don’t have a food processor, you can put all of these ingredients in a large bowl and mash with your hands until the mixture is fully blended. However, I prefer the food processor for the best results.
4. With a small spoon, scoop out 8 portions and drop onto the cookie sheet. Spray the tops of the turkey with non-stick cooking spray (to prevent the spoon from sticking in the next step).
5. Flatten the turkey mounds with the back of a spoon and place 1 cube of avocado onto the center of each.
6. Wrap and pinch the sides of the turkey up around the avocado to seal in the avocado and roll with your hands to form a ball. Repeat this for the remaining 7 meatballs.
7. Turn the flame on the skillet to medium-high, put the meatballs into the skillet and cook for 8-10 minutes or until the bottoms are golden brown. Flip meatballs and cook for an additional 6-8 minutes or until the bottoms are golden brown and the turkey is no longer pink in the center. Enjoy!
100% TASTE, 0% GUILT