What happens when you’re hit with a craving for Chinese food? I’m sure a mental struggle ensues in which you try to fight it because you fear the excessive oil, globs of sugary sauce, outrageous sodium levels, and msg additives right? How many of you miss the good old taste of “real” Chinese food because all you order anymore is steamed chicken and broccoli for all of those reasons that I just mentioned? What if I told you that you could have the best of both worlds; that you can enjoy the taste of the “real” version without all of the fat and calories. Yes, you can read that sentence again! You can enjoy the taste of Chinese food while still being healthy — I’m going to prove that to you: “Alli’s Slim Pickins!” 100% Taste, 0% Guilt
Today I’m bringing you a popular classic Chinese dish – Orange Chicken. This chicken dish is typically fried and smothered in sugary sauce that adds calories that we just don’t need. I’m redoing this for you right now! You’ll be amazed at how a few simple tweaks can allow you to enjoy the classic flavor and still have it be good for you. The sweet orange flavor combined with the tangy rice wine vinegar, a hint of sesame oil, and aromatic spices work together to form a sauce that mimics the real thing. This sauce covers tender chunks of white meat chicken and crisp veggies to create a meal that will leave your taste buds on cloud nine. It’s all here for you and ready to go. Each Alli’s Slim Pickins recipe provides detailed ingredients, nutritional information, and step-by-step instructions on how to prepare each mouth-watering meal! You ready? I am! Let’s make it happen!
3/4 cup water
2 TB lemon juice
1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
3 TB light soy sauce
1/2 packet Crystal Light Orange Sunrise
1 packet Splenda
2 TB brown sugar
1/2 tsp minced fresh ginger root
1 teaspoon minced garlic
2 TB chopped scallions
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1 TB coconut oil
1 lb white meat chicken breast, raw, chopped into bite size pieces
2 TB coconut flour
1/4 tsp black pepper
How to Prepare
- Put water, lemon juice, vinegar, and soy sauce into a saucepan over medium-high heat. Stir in the Crystal Light, Splenda, brown sugar, ginger, garlic, scallions, and red pepper flakes. Bring to a boil. Once boiling, remove from heat and set aside.
- Coat a large skillet with cooking spray and place over medium-high heat. Add coconut oil and once it fully melts add the chicken pieces.
- Cook chicken until fully browned, approximately 10 minutes, stirring frequently so it doesn’t burn.
- Remove the chicken from the skillet and put into a bowl. Add the coconut flour and pepper and stir to coat chicken. Set aside.
- Put the skillet back over medium-high heat and pour the sauce from the saucepan into the skillet. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and add the chicken pieces.
- Simmer approximately 10 minutes. Enjoy!
Optional: garnish with orange slices and scallions before serving. Also, if you’re not watching your carbs, serve over brown rice. Yum!
Per serving (serves 2): 372 calories, 54 grams protein, 16 grams carbohydrates, 9.5 grams fat
100% TASTE, 0% GUILT
Editor’s Note: If you have any specific requests or would like to share your feedback on the above recipes, please e-mail Allison Frahn at AliFrahn@yahoo.com.