It’s common to drink green tea for health. But white tea is the least processed tea and has the highest antioxidant levels, even higher than green or black tea! In addition, white tea contains more catechins and less caffeine than green tea, according to Demetre Whitmore, an oncology nutrition specialist at the Washington Cancer Institute at the Washington Hospital Center in Northwest.
White Tea: Facts and Tips
There are many different teas, but white is really the one that I recommend. White tea comes from a very healthy and rare variety of the same plant as green tea (Camellia sinensis) but has up to three times as many antioxidants as green tea, and that is why white tea is more expensive.
The two versions of white tea include a traditional budset white tea (Fujian Silver Needle, Anhui, etc.) and a modern new style leaf white tea. They are not interchangeable and appear very different. You can find many varieties, and the best are silvertip, jasmine silver tips, pai mu tan (white peony) and silver needle. Find a tea store and check the purity and if the tea looks fresh and recently harvested. Store in a dry, cool and dark place to prevent oxidation.
I like to drink a cup in the morning before my exercise and sometimes in the afternoon with a healthy snack. I recommend drinking two to three cups per day.
Here are just some of the benefits of white tea:
• Cancer prevention: White tea has flavonoids, a class of antioxidants. Flavonoids have been found to prevent some cancers such as colon, prostate and stomach. Also, the antioxidants in this tea can help to boost your immune system.
• White tea has been shown to lower blood pressure and protect the heart. It’s also been shown to promote strong and healthy blood vessels, guarding against strokes.
• White tea contains catechins, an important antioxidant that has been found to reduce cholesterol.
• Prevents cavities: white tea contains small amounts of fluoride (as a dentist, I know the importance of this!).
• The antioxidants in white tea promote healthy skin.
• Catechins can help to boost your metabolism, helping to burn more body fat.
• Studies suggest that white tea may encourage the body to burn more fat with a healthy diet and exercise.
Lemon White Tea Sorbet Recipe
2 white tea bags
2 cups water
2 stevia individual pack
Pour the tea bags in 2 cups boiling water and allow to steep 2 hours. Remove tea bags and stir the water with the stevia and squeeze the lemon until dissolved. Chill mixture 8 hours in refrigerator. Use an ice cream maker and use according the machine instruction. Freeze at least for one day before serving. If you want to add water and blender you will enjoy a delicious frappe as well.