The Atkins diet was very popular a few years ago. But today, the keto diet is very popular, especially among many professional athletes. This diet involves eating fat from different types of food in order to start producing ketones to burn more fat. We know now that a low-carb diet can force the body produce ketones and burn fat.
There are many writers and athletes who recommend different protocols, but I want to describe the popular and easier way to understand how macros can be used to be in ketosis.
Aspects of the Diet
• Keto macros can be close to: 70 to 80 percent fats, 25 percent protein, and 5 percent carbohydrates.
• Carbs can be less than 50 grams, and some authors recommend 15 grams from green vegetables and some nuts.
• Examples of carbs sources permitted in this type of diet: Broccoli, spinach, mushrooms, cauliflower, kale, cabbage, lettuce and celery.
• Fruits: avocados, strawberries, raspberries, blueberries.
• Examples of protein sources: grass-fed meat, organic poultry, organic eggs, etc.
• Examples of fats: olive oil, coconut oil, nuts, avocado (avocados are fruit but have monounsaturated fat), grass-fed butter, etc.
• It is necessary to moderate protein because high-protein intake can raise insulin and produce gluconeogenesis, and this can raise glucose and insulin. For a keto diet, this is not a good thing.
When a person is adapted to the keto diet, he or she may experience:
Possible Side Effects
All diets and protocols have many benefits but can have some exceptions. Some people need to be careful, because if the keto diet is not done in the correct way, it can have negative results. Hydration and use of some supplements is necessary to do the diet without negative problems, and some people can’t follow keto diets because of medical conditions.
Some negative symptoms that certain people may experience with keto diets are:
• Mental fogginess
• Decreased energy
• Frequent urination and loss of electrolytes
• Fatigue and dizziness
• Muscle cramps
I also want to be very clear that ketosis is so different than KETOACIDOSIS. Ketoacidosis is a very dangerous! So, it’s important to do the keto diet properly and to check with your doctor.
Ketogenic Diet Example
Turkey bacon with organic eggs and coconut oil.
Nuts with some vegetables sautéed in grass-fed butter
Avocado with olive oil, Marcela Tribin Bread (see recipe below) and tea
Cod with spinach, small salad with olive oil and macadamia nuts
As you can see, this is a high fat, very low carb and moderated protein diet. It is not a high-protein diet!
Consult with Your Doctor
When people start the keto diet, it can be difficult and they may not feel so good. But when the body is fully adapted and starts using fat as energy, the results are incredible. Some people can adapt easy but some may not. This diet helps many athletes but it’s not for everyone, so check with your doctor to make sure it’s right for you.
Marcela Tribin Keto Bread
65 grams nut flour (I recommend almond or Brazilian nuts)
1 egg white
16 grs coconut flour
30 grams of vanilla whey powder
45 grams psyllium husk powder
¼ grass-fed butter
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
½ cup of water
Separate the egg yolks and mix with the dry ingredients. Beat the egg whites and add the butter. Mix all the ingredients and bake for 30 minutes in a bread loaf pan.