It’s easy to get into a routine with our diets and eat the same things all of the time. But, to ensure our bodies get all of the nutrients required to function optimally, we need variety. Quinoa is a perfect food to rotate into your meal plan, as it is a nutritional powerhouse. Often referred to as the “Supergrain of the Future,” quinoa brings a lot of benefits to the table:
1. Quinoa is gluten free.
2. Quinoa is a protein-rich food. It’s a complete protein containing all nine essential amino acids. One cup of cooked quinoa contains 8.14 g of protein, more than any other grain.
3. Quinoa is rich in fiber, which is important for digestive health and the prevention of heart disease. Fiber also helps with weight loss.
4. Quinoa contains lysine, which is essential for tissue growth and repair.
5. Quinoa contains iron. This mineral is important to hemoglobin formation, increasing brain function, regulating body temperature and energy metabolism.
6. Quinoa is rich in magnesium—a mineral that helps to promote healthy blood sugar and the formation of healthy bones and teeth.
7. Quinoa is high in riboflavin (B2), calcium, phosphorus, potassium, copper and zinc.
8. Quinoa contains the powerful antioxidant manganese.