Are you one of those people who just needs something a little sweet once the sun goes down? Whether it is after lunch or dinner, there are creative ways to satisfy a sweet tooth without heading straight for that tub of ice cream! It is all about finding the best options— opting for less sugar, fat and calorie options that still have beneficial qualities such as fiber, antioxidants or proteins. It is all about making choices! You an satisfy your sweet tooth without the guilt and here are 18 ways…
1. Chocolate-Dipped Strawberry. Rather than using any old chocolate, opt for greater than 70% cacao to get the flavor with the antioxidant rich properties!
*since 70% cacao isn’t as sweet as regular chocolate, you can sweeten by adding a touch of stevia.
2. Hot Chocolate. 1-2 tbsp of unsweetened cocoa powder mixed with unsweetened almond or coconut milk and a touch of stevia makes for a low-calorie yet very satisfying beverage that is sure to satisfy any sweet craving!
3. PeaNUT Popcorn. Pop a small bag of natural popcorn and top with 1 tablespoon melted peanut butter and a touch of cocoa powder. Need I say more??!!
4. Sugar Free Pudding. Whatever flavor you prefer, mix ½ packet of sugar-free pudding with ½ scoop protein powder. Allow to settle and cool in the refrigerator for at least 5 minutes and enjoy!!
5. Frozen Chocolate-Covered Fruit. Whether it is a sliced banana or grapes, simply freeze fruit, remove from freezer and dip them in more than 70% dark cocoa and place them back in the freezer until chocolate hardens. Yummy!
6. Yummy Yogurt Creation. Mix 6 oz non-fat Greek yogurt with ½ scoop protein powder and ¼ cup non-fat Cool Whip. Place in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes and enjoy!
7. Simply Jell-O. Prepare your favorite flavor of sugar free Jell-0 or rather keep the grab and go Jell-O cups handy. Top off with a few tablespoons of non-fat Cool Whip or non-fat Greek yogurt, for a healthier option, and enjoy!
8. Simply Slice Dark Chocolate. An ounce of dark chocolate can do the trick! Opt for >70% cacao to save yourself the added fat and sugar yet gain the antioxidant properties.
9. Better than Nutella Butter. Place 2 tablespoons of your favorite nut butter in a bowl, add in 1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder mix and eat by the spoonful! Tastes just like Nutella without all the added sugar!!
10. Sugar-Free Popsicles. Great quick craving savers that can do the trick in less than 30 calories!
11. Cafe Mocha. This is the perfect way to get a kick of caffeine and a serving of dark chocolate all at once. Opt for low-fat milk and stick to a small size to keep the calorie count low.
12. Homemade Banana Ice Cream. Place a frozen banana in a blender or food processor with 2 tbsp unsweetened coconut milk, 1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder and 2 packets of stevia. Blend or puree well and serve!
13. Avocado Chocolate Pudding. Don’t judge until you try this delicious concoction. Simply take 1 avocado, ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder, 1 tbsp coconut oil, 1 tsp vanilla extract and ¼ cup stevia in a food processor. Process until rich and creamy. Place in the refrigerator and allow to settle and cool for at least 30 minutes. Enjoy this yummy goodness!
14. Frozen Greek Yogurt Bites. Add 1 cup non-fat Greek yogurt with ½ cup frozen berries or banana. Place in food processor and puree lightly. Drop spoonfuls of fruit/yogurt mix on a cookie sheet and freeze for a few hours until frozen. Serve and enjoy!
15. Mock Apple Pie. Prepare a no-carb pancake by adding 1 scoop protein, 2 egg whites, 1/3 tsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp baking soda, 1 tsp vanilla extract in bowl, mixing well and preparing like a pancake over stovetop. Once cooked, set aside. Place ½ sliced apples, 1 tbsp cinnamon, 1 tsp coconut oil and 1/8 cup stevia in a skillet and sauté until apples are soft and golden brown. Pour over top pancake and enjoy!!
16. Cottage Cheese Delight. Place ½ non-fat cottage cheese in a bowl with ¼ cup non-fat Cool Whip and 1 scoop protein powder of your choice. Mix well and place in the refrigerator for about 15-20 minutes and enjoy!
17. Guilt Free “Pumpkin Pie.” Place 1/2 can pure pumpkin, 1 scoop vanilla protein powder, 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice, 1/4 cup stevia in a bowl. Mix and place in freezer to settle for 10-15 minutes until desired consistency. Scoop out and enjoy!!
18. Apple & Nut Butter. So simple but so pleasing. Slice up an apple and dip each slice in your favorite nut butter (almond or peanut butter) and enjoy!
Hope you find one or more of these options helpful when you feel that craving for something sweet coming on strong. Remember, it is all about choices and there are plenty of healthy alternatives that can allow you to satisfy that sweet tooth while staying on track with your goals!